How long to establish filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up and old canister filter(Fluval 203) that I haven't used in years yesterday. I hooked it up to an established tank (125 gallon) that has a large sponge filter and an Eheim canister running on it. I am wondering how long it would take before the new/old filter (fluval 203) is ready to use on a small tank (about 5 gallons). I have 8 medium uaru one medium to large rhino pleco a few corys a school of small tetras and a few other small fish. With this bio load I am thinking it should take at least a week for bacteria to establish. Not sure. What do you think?

The idea is to start a new tank with a cycled filter and water from a cycled tank and have an instant cycled new tank. I've done this before when installing new filters on an old tank then once the new filter ran for a while installed the old filter on a fresh tank. I let both filters run for at least a month before removing the old one to ensure the cycle remained intact. I've never done this in the reverse and need to ensure the filter will cycle before I install in the new tank. I'm just not sure how long it will take.

i would give it at least 3 weeks to a month... also, when you do set up the tank, use new water when you set it up, youre just putting dirty water in it otherwise

*Snickers* I've got 2 fluval 405s seeding on our 55g right now for the 120. (got the other one for Christmas)

What I've found that helps is filling a piece of old pantyhose with already seeded gravel and putting it in the filter under some of the ceramic bio things and change it out every 4 days with "newer" seed gravel. I've done this before when we set up our 40 and it seemed to help speed up the process of cycling the filter.

couldn't you just take some media from the eheim and put it into the fluval? and what are you going to put into a five? that 203 should give it plenty of flow, lol.

It's actually a LARGE vase. My lady friend had goldfish in it. She really liked it so I am trying to set it up so the fish are healthy. I know the filter is overkill but only a canister filter will work in this "bowl" and the F203 is the smallest I have. There isn't room for a sponge and from what i've heard about goldfish I think excess filtration isn't a bad idea.

well there is no goldfish that should be put in a 5g tank. A beta or shrimp is all that belongs in a tank that small, and a canister is WAY overkill for either one, both liking slow current

Bummer. I was doing this as a belated Xmas present. I hope she'll understand.

Back
Top Bottom