How much power does your aquarium use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How much power does your aquarium use?

• 100 KwH or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 101 - 300 KwH

• 301 - 500 KwH

• 501 - 800 KwH

• 801 - 1200 KwH

• Over 1200 KwH

• Total voters

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering how much power you think your aquarium uses. I was going to ask cost but power prices vary so much it would not be accurate results. If you are not sure post a estimate or even cost.

i don't have one of those fancy KwH tester thingys but i'm guessing i use 100 to 300 ish. I only saw maybe a 5-10 dollar increase in the electric bill when i started my new setup. 1800 is a lot. But worth it....

I calculate ~230 KwH / month. I excluded the heater altogether since it's almost never on (Floridian here).

Now should I include the power used by the dehumidifier I have to run all the time because of all the evaporation from the tank?

I just got out my last utility bill. For my entire house, including the tank, I used 1174 KWH. That's less than just Brenden's tank. 8O

zenn said:
i don't have one of those fancy KwH tester thingys

You don't need any tester. Add up the watts that each part uses, multiply by 24 hours and then by 30 days. Only multiply by 12 hours (or however long you keep them on) for your lights.

I bought a kil-a-watt but I don't remember the KwH. I believe it cost me around $40-50 a month.

I have more than one tank. Freshwater and saltwater. So I would guess between 100 and 300.

Energy Charge682 kWh @ $.04402/kWh30.02Fuel Charge682 kWh @ $.05435/kWh. i live in a one bedroom apt, but the a/c runs most of my bill (window unit), since i live in fl. i have 3 tanks, 2 sw (20 gal and a 5 gal) and 1 fw. but then again we have a bearded dragon, a ball python, and a tortis that require uv and heat lamps.

Back
Top Bottom