How often do you clean your freshwater tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mordred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was curious as to how long you guys let your tanks go before you clean? I have a 140 gallon tank that uses a wet/dry sump. It's been running about 2 weeks, and has 4 fish in it. The filter pad above the bio media is getting a bit brown in the middle and I am unsure of the frequency of cleaning for both it and the tank as a whole.

Thanks in advance.

Every tank is different, and needs to be treated as such. For anyone to arbitrarily say, a certain regimen will work in all cases is absurd. In your case, you have a large tank, with (presumedly) large filtration, with small bioload. In 2 weeks the tank is not cycled yet, and with the light bioload make cycle without you noticing it. As a general rule, there is no value in leaving solid waste in your filter or tank. If it is in the filter, it is the same as if it were still in the tank. Periodic rinsing of the filter pad, will help to keep the biomedia below it clean, which will maintain it's efficiency. How often it needs to be cleaned depends on how quickly it gets dirty. Keeping it clean will not reduce the efficiency of the filter, only enhance it. If you see debris, in the tank, then it needs to be vacuumed up. How often depends on how much debris and your tolerance for it. The filter will handle processing the waste, when it is fully fuctional, but partial water changes, will still be necessary. test kits for ammonai, nitrite and nitrates can tell you where you are in the cycle, and the nitrate level, will tell you what the minimum water change should be when the tank is cycled. Doing the minimum is just that, allowing no room for error. It is better to change more, in case, your next change is delayed (it happens). Personally, I try to do 50% weekly water changes, on tanks with any amount of fish in them, and even on lightly stocked tanks. This is a very general reply to a very general question, but I hope it is of some help.

Keep up your water changes as BillD said and depending on the filter my HOB i scrub out weekly with the water change (use the old tank water for cleaning purposes and just make sponge look nice) my canister i let go for a month or so then clean it all out nicely, there isn't much in my tanks atm so my media isn't that dirty

Back
Top Bottom