How should I assemble my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dpac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my mom decided to clean my the aquarium filter, but she can't remember in which order the parts were

So I'm hoping someone can help me.
The parts I have are:
a sort of black sponge like the one in the left, the white cloth in the middle and a carbon cartridge on the right.

How should I place them inside the filter?
Also should I clean or do anything before reassembling the filter?

Thanks in advance :D

DSC_1230.JPG

Hi, probably a bit late but I would put the coarse sponge first (stage 1), then wool, then carbon. But um, not excited with the filter. Do you have a water test kit?

If you can I would add some ceramic bio-media for the bacteria. The sponge will hold a bit but not as much. Even just a bit of media will help - just squash the sponge down and place above the wool so it is getting filtered water. For cleaning just dunk the sponge and wool in tank water from a change. Don't use tap water as that will kill the bb.

The carbon will take organics out of the water and improve clarity but it will grow bacteria as well after a few weeks. So every time you change it after a month, then you throw out bb and risk a mini-cycle (depending on stocking). I'm not against carbon but it's a major part of your filtration there. So I'd either keep an eye on it with an ammonia test after changing or replace it with purigen / more ceramic bio-media.

Seachem. Purigen

Back
Top Bottom