How to clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
How do I clean this?

Attachments

• image-3643950586.jpg
    image-3643950586.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 178
If that doesn't get it clean, a bleach solution and a scrubbing brush will. Just rinse well and soak for an hour or so in dechlorinator when done.

Mmmmmmm pineapple nice

I would put something a bit more natural looking in the tank that way a little green won't look bad at all

As for bleach are you sure isn't that toxic to fish

If its made out of rock stone it will soak in the bleach and release it back into the tank after no rinse will get the bleach out of the pores fast

If its painted the bleach or scrubby may remove the paint

I would use a old toothbrush and hot water

As for bleach are you sure isn't that toxic to fish?

Only if you don't dechlorinate afterwards. I still feel a bit funny about putting my purigen back into my filters after it has recharged in pool chlorine, but hey, that's how it's designed.

My neighbour had a badly neglected tank that was covered in dark algae. I gave her a couple of 2 1/2 inch bristlenose and they made that tank sparkle! Within a week all the walls and ornaments were like brand new (the neighbour had forgotten they were ever that brightly coloured). Then they set about cleaning every piece of coloured gravel. Lol. I must check that she has begun offering wafers now there is little to no algae!

Well rinsed old tooth brush (tb), white vinegar and baking soda in a cleaned and double/triple rinsed sink, including the faucet and faucet handles.

Moisten the tb in the vinegar dip in b soda and start scrubbing, more b soda when you need it rinse with w vinegar and keep going.

2-3x rinse well leave in sun a couple days to dry and kill some more if it doesn't come off, try again same thing. If it seems good and clean you can probably skip the sunshine.

Rinse well again as before, then in treated / conditioned water, ready for the tank.

Well Jay Jay, the good old sponge bob pineapple!!!. Personally i'd go with the bleach/water solution. I used to use that for my fake plants. I didn't even need to scrub them. I used 1 part bleach per 6 parts water. You can always strengthen/weaken it if needed. I'd soak it in hot water for about 20mins first. A toothbrush is always handy to have....
With those painted decorations, when using sand, I always found they stain the sand....

Well Jay Jay, the good old sponge bob pineapple!!!. Personally i'd go with the bleach/water solution. I used to use that for my fake plants. I didn't even need to scrub them. I used 1 part bleach per 6 parts water. You can always strengthen/weaken it if needed. I'd soak it in hot water for about 20mins first. A toothbrush is always handy to have....
With those painted decorations, when using sand, I always found they stain the sand....

Thanks I think I'll try that.

Throw in the microwave

That's what I do with my eheim media when I want to clean it microwave the boil works a treat

Back
Top Bottom