How to clean glass tops and black lids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a used fish tank from craigslist and I was wondering how do I get the stubborn stains off the glass tops?

Also how do I get the black lids and the top of the lights looking new again. I know I can't use armor-all but what can I use to make it shine and look new?

You can try using a water and vinegar solution, and for the glass, you can try the razor that comes in a utility knife.
As for the black, you can maybe try finding some aquarium paint?

You can try using a water and vinegar solution, and for the glass, you can try the razor that comes in a utility knife.
As for the black, you can maybe try finding some aquarium paint?

+1

I use vinegar on all used tanks parts and a razor blade for those really tough hard water stains.

will the vinegar bother the fish?

I know I have to wash and rinse but do I have anything to worry about?

dont clean it while its on the tank... as long as you rinse it good, it'll be fine. You'll find that life is much easier without glass tops or hoods. I learned to hate mine real quick.

Don't use it if your fish are in there. Maybe you can "borrow" a window screen from your window (clean it first) and stick that over the tank while you are cleaning the lid.

And get some eggcrate to use a top for the tank so you can remove the glass tops. Or get some bird mesh (¼" or ½" holes) from Lowes/HD and some screen material to make your own custom top.

BRS Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5'

BRS Clear 1/2" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5'

Along the side for Realted Products you'll see the frame and spine material.

You may want to PM austinsdad as he bought a roll of this clear netting. You can get the other parts locally.

You said you just got this tank... did you cycle it first? I suggest you read the links in cmor's signature above.

Back
Top Bottom