How to fix a leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's a leak on my 33g tank :( I did my pwc then cleaned the glass with the magnet cleaner. I came back and there was a leak. Maybe I hit the seal? Idk. How do you fix this? Help!!!

What I would do is transfer the fish and everything to another tank or temporary tub. Use a razor blade to scrape the silicone off and then buy some aquarium safe silicone and reseal it. There are some wonderful videos on youtube that show you how to do it, step-by-step, if you aren't much of a do-it-your-selfer. :)

meegosh said:
What I would do is transfer the fish and everything to another tank or temporary tub. Use a razor blade to scrape the silicone off and then buy some aquarium safe silicone and reseal it. There are some wonderful videos on youtube that show you how to do it, step-by-step, if you aren't much of a do-it-your-selfer. :)

Thank you Steve. I'll do that. Fortunately, I don't have fish yet. I just started a fish-less cycle. I am emptying the tank right now. Thanks again!

That is a good thing that you caught this before you filled the tank with fish. A couple other things... if the other seals seem to be dry rotted I would just go ahead and reseal those as well. It will be easier to do them all at once now than to have it spring a leak later.

Also, be sure to let the silicone cure completely before adding water to the tank. Curing times vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but it should say on the tube.

It was ok for a couple days. I cleaned it then it leaked. I probably messed up the seal. I'm letting it dry now then remove the old seal then seal it. Thanks again!

You should be able to find Silicone in some fish stores, but if you can't find it there is some at hardware stores you can use. I have used GE Silicone Type I. Just make sure it does NOT have the mildew additives and is 100% silicone. And if you are able to, use google to search for the brand you're looking at while there along with the words 'safe for aquarium'

Tim Wheatley said:
You should be able to find Silicone in some fish stores, but if you can't find it there is some at hardware stores you can use. I have used GE Silicone Type I. Just make sure it does NOT have the mildew additives and is 100% silicone. And if you are able to, use google to search for the brand you're looking at while there along with the words 'safe for aquarium'

I went to petsmart and petco and they didn't have it. So I went to home depot and got the GE silicone that you recommended.

There's a leak on my 33g tank :( I did my pwc then cleaned the glass with the magnet cleaner. I came back and there was a leak. Maybe I hit the seal? Idk. How do you fix this? Help!!!

I repaired a 90 gal aquarium a few years back due to the same reason. I had to empty the aquarium and strip all the old silicone out. I figured as long as I was repairing one section I might as well redo the whole tank.
After stripping the old silicone I sanded the seam areas with a fine grit sandpaper 400 or 600 grit, I can't recall. You need to do this to remove the minute particles of silicone embedded in the glass that a razor blade cannot remove as silicone does not bond well to silicone. After this, wipe the seams with acetone and let dry then apply silicone making sure no bubbles are in the applied silicone when done. Let dry for at least 24-36 hours then you are good to go.

I repaired a 90 gal aquarium a few years back due to the same reason. I had to empty the aquarium and strip all the old silicone out. I figured as long as I was repairing one section I might as well redo the whole tank.
After stripping the old silicone I sanded the seam areas with a fine grit sandpaper 400 or 600 grit, I can't recall. You need to do this to remove the minute particles of silicone embedded in the glass that a razor blade cannot remove as silicone does not bond well to silicone. After this, wipe the seams with acetone and let dry then apply silicone making sure no bubbles are in the applied silicone when done. Let dry for at least 24-36 hours then you are good to go.

Awesome advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom