How to quiet my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just set up my first aquarium today, it's a 28 gal bowfont freshwater. It looks great so far, however I purchased a 30-45 Tetra Whisper filter, and I find it to be pretty loud. I don't know how loud the average filter is ? ? ?, but it's definetly bothering me. I know it's the motor, or something inside because I can't here the water falling into the tank at all. Any ideas how I can make it quieter? Or if there's a different filter you would reccomend in the $35 range.

So I just set up my first aquarium today, it's a 28 gal bowfont freshwater. It looks great so far, however I purchased a 30-45 Tetra Whisper filter, and I find it to be pretty loud. I don't know how loud the average filter is ? ? ?, but it's definetly bothering me. I know it's the motor, or something inside because I can't here the water falling into the tank at all. Any ideas how I can make it quieter? Or if there's a different filter you would reccomend in the $35 range.

I don't know the Tetra filters, but IMO if you can return it and get the AquaClear 50, that would be perfect for your tank and at times I have to look at the water fall to make sure it's working because it's so quiet. The one big benefit of the AC50 is that you can customize the media basket contents to your system.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll definetly look into the aquaclear brand. I'm just a bit skeptical because i read alot of reviews of the one I have now about how "ohhh its so quiet we have to make sure its on!!!" stuff like that.

Sorry, misread your post. Raising the water will quiet the water splashing. Make sure the filter is level. An off-kilter filter can vibrate and make a lot of noise.

I would also recommend the aqua clear. I have the ac 70 and I can hear my air pump over the filter.. Like others said sometimes I have to check if it is still running.

You could also check to make sure the lid and everything is tightly secure, vibration does make a lot of noise

Ok I just bought the aqua clear filter and set it up. its definetly quieter than my last one, but still a little loud for my liking. i can deal with it though...

Back
Top Bottom