How To Quiet My Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know how to make your sump overflow quieter? I have two straight 1" pipes in the outside box of the overflow, the gurgling is quite annoying. I've tryed to stick airline tube in them, and I can't really fit 90's in there. Any advice?

You can try something like this.
Hofer Gurgle Buster Construction

I just used a plastic cup with an airline just barely inside the cup and it worked great.
overflow-sm.jpg

Thanks, exactly what I needed. Perfect thank you, let's hope it works as good for me as it does for you

Did you just flip the cup upside down and put it over the intake tube? The instructions for the PVC one look pretty complex(compared to the plastic cup)so just makin sure thats all you did. Or is there something Im not seeing?

Yep, that's it. :) I had to use a piece of egg crate on the inside of the box to keep the cup in place. If you have a cup that fits nice and snug, you won't need that. You just don't want the cup to fall down and block the drain.

Couldent get the cup to sit how I wanted, though when it stayed it worked pretty good. I decided to just build the gurgle stoppers, a little mor solid. They work great, amazing how quiet overflow is now. I can actualy fall asleep on my couch and not be waken up by that horrible noice. Watching movies is a little easyer too(small appt). Thanks guys everything worked perfect.

Hmmm, not yuo got me thinking Larry. I used your cup idea on 1 overflow of my tank and I used a plastic tie to hold the ariline against the leg of the light fixture. Now that I'm about to replace the fixture with a hanging fixture I'll nee a way to keep the cup from dropping down.

Back
Top Bottom