How to quiet the skimmer vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiTank

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I have a Eshopps skimmer and besides constantly having to adjust it, it is so loud. It only touches the sump on the base of it. Anyone have any tricks?

I had the same problem and the owner of my local fish store gave me a small piece of filter which I placed between the protein skimmer and the glass. It made a world of difference and I can barely hear the vibrations from the protein skimmer. Sorry I can't give you a better answer this is only my second saltwater aquarium.

What section is that stuff in at places like Home Depot. I've never seen it, but haven't ever really looked for it specifically either.

It can be found in building supplies...stay away from fiberglass at all costs. You can also try a ziploc bag filled with spray foam from a can. Zip up the bag almost completely and use the spray tube (straw) from the liquid foam to spray into the small opening. Don't spray too much at one time, as this stuff expands rapidly. If it explodes out of the bag, you will have a hell of a sticky mess on your hands. While the foam is still soft, place the base of your skimmer on top of the bag. You will have a custom fit for your skimmer, and it WILL be quiet from now on.
D

It is perfectly safe for many years to come once it cures, which takes about 1 hour. Ask the guys in electronics for insulating / sealing foam in a can. It's the same foam you spray to keep out critters and cold air in residential applications.
No worries mate!
D

Back
Top Bottom