How to tell if UV Sterlilizer is functional?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm helping a friend with a 180gal tank that he just acquired. The package came with an Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer. All equipment is more than 3 yrs old. I'm just going to assume that the bulb needs replaced (unless there's a way to tell?).

From what I read HERE, the 8wt bulb seems to be the one I'll need.

Other than replacing the bulb, what else do I need to look/check for to make sure that the whole UV unit is going to be functional? What is the function of the quartz sleeve and would it need replaced as well?

Not having experience with a UV sterilizer, any other advice that I need to be aware of?

TIA

That 8W is good for tanks up to 150G. I'm not too sure on the life of the light.
Hit the "more info" button on that site, for instructions on replacing the sleve.
I don't use one, yet, so I am not much help.

I would say you need to replace the bulb if it's more than a year old. The quartz sleeve keeps the water off the bulb. As long as it's clean and not leaking, it's fine. Some UV units come with a wiper that allows you to wipe the crud off the sleeve without taking the unit apart. Others require that you take them apart and wipe the sleeve off. If the unit doesn't leak water and the bulb lights up, it's working. I have a formula to figure the correct flow for UV's based on wattage and size, but I'm not sure where that info is at the moment. Whatever the manufacturer recommends is probably optimistic though so I'd go with a pretty slow flow through an 8 watt unit. I guess I'm overkill...I have a 150 reef with a 57 watt and a 180 reef with a 40 watt...lol. Any micro critters in those tanks that are alive have a really good tan by now.

loganj said:
I would say you need to replace the bulb if it's more than a year old. The quartz sleeve keeps the water off the bulb. As long as it's clean and not leaking, it's fine.

I change mine every year also. And yes as Logan said the sleeve is OK as long as it is not cracked or leaking water

Back
Top Bottom