HQI Double Ended / Mogule base MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wondering what are the pros and cons of each. I noticed that the retro kits or stand alone sockets and ballasts that support Double Ended HQI are a good bit higher than Mogule.. what is the reason for this? Are the HQI bulbs a little cheaper that make the cost of operating down the road even out or something? Also I have 4x54watt T-5's (2x actinic 2x10k) on my normal dimension 75g... should I go with 2 175w or 2x250w MHs? I dont want to overfry my water/inhabitants... and, my rock work goes up really really high :)

I've read that DE bulbs are more intense than mogule based bulbs. DE bulbs does not block the UV light generated by it so you will need to have a glass shield. Mogule base bulbs will filter out the UV but you should still have a splash guard.

The 250W DE has more penetration depth than the 175W SE bulbs. If you got a deep(as in verticle height) tank i would suggest getting the 250W.

I had a 10g tank with 150W DE. The distance from bulb to sand was approximately 16" apart. I had a blue mushroom rock directly under the MH and the population sky rocketed over server months. Mushrooms are supposed to be low light corals but these seem to love intense lighting. I wouldn't worry too much about frying your corals because SPS, Clams, anemones will love it the extra light. And if the corals react badly you can always relocate them to a less intense area.

Well, reason I ask is because I don't know if I want to sell my 4xt5 retro setup and get the coralife pro (it comes with 2x175w mh and not 250w) and powercompact. OR keep my t5's and get a 2x175w or 250w mh kit and keep the t5s

Which would yall pick - #1 or #2

1 Complete Coralife Aqualight Pro and 2x96PC actinic + 2x175mh HQI DE(moonlights included) and sell my T5s.
to
2 Coralvue Retro 4xT5' 2xactinic 2x10k and 2x250 retro MH Mogul from whatever brand

I figure to add 250mh to my already existing setup will cost me 400-500$ and at that cost with my 225.00 t-5s I bought.. I could have just bought the Coralife Aqua Pro or the hamilton 250mh with actinic03 VHOs

You might want to double check but i dont think they make 175W DE bulbs, i think they are only SE bulbs for that wattage.

I would go with the 2x250W MH.

hmm... I'll have the check into that. I am assuming that the term "HQI" is a brand of bulb and not an acronym for Single/Double Ended? Because the coralife is "HQI" bulbs...

HQI is double ended, not a brand.
ie: I have 3 Aquamedic 250 watt HQI bulbs in my light fixture

Back
Top Bottom