I need an ATO.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been debating on which ATO to get for my 39 gallon reef tank (+20g sump which it will be hooked too). I want one without moving parts like either the new hydor smart level. Anybody use this one or have anymore suggestions? I do want quality but I'm not looking to spend way too much.

i have the hydor ATO and for the money i wouldn't complain about it. the only thing you have to watch for is the outlet plug that you will be plugging your pump into. i have a Aqualifter and i had to clip a portion of the plug so that it will fit into the ATO, nothing you can't do though.

for the other ATO you are thinking, you would need a pristine glass so that the sensor can detect the water level. any smear or dried up water marks will interfere with the reading and making it unworkable. i do like the compact design and how it has its own pump.

you just have to weigh out the pros and the cons.

one thing that i do wish for on any ATO is the ability to adjust for the water level. here's what i mean by that: i only have a regular 29gal reef tank. the marks on the sensor are so far apart (for my tank at least) that when the ATO kicks in, it pumps a lot of water into the tank. this also indicates that my salinity before the ATO kicking in was higher than what i wanted it to be.

Well its a done deal. After days of research and reviews I went with the AutoAqua smart ATO. It will be in my acrylic sump and will be cleaned well before put into place. I think its gonna be awesome! I'll definitely review it when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom