I think i have used the wrong silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony07232

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have new to keeping salt water fish and I am just starting up. Im building my own Aquarium and my own sump. Like most things I do im going in with both feet!! the tank is 700ltr im using 12mm tempered glass and it will take pride of place in my front room.

First problem, I live in the middle east and could not find Aquarium slilcone anywhere, so I have been searching on the internet for what silicone to use, most sites say as long as its 100% silicone then it should be ok. Well I used 100% silicone and now im having doubts. Below it the brand I used.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272264
Ace® 50 Year 100% Silicone Sealant -
Please if anyone can help me on this matter it would be a great help.

Regards

Tony

Thank you for your reply

Ok not I know this will sound dum but it dose say in small writing not recomended for Aquarium's but all the spec's are below.

• Seals cracks, joints, windows, doors, gutters, sinks, counter tops & showers
  • Also use on RVs & boats above water line
  • Bonds to ceramic, glass, fiberglass, porcelain, painted surfaces, non-oily surfaces & most metal
  • Apply between 10 deg. F. & 100 deg. F.
  • 24 hr. cure
  • Non-paintable
  • Mineral spirits clean-up
  • Authorized by USDA for federally inspected meat & poultry plants, meets TT-S- 00230 C Class A, TT-S-001543 A Class A, Mil, Spec. Mil-A- 46106A, ASTM C920-79, FDA Reg. No. 21 CRF 177, 2600 when fully cured
Man I hope I have not messed up! Looking forward to your responce.

Regards

Tony

It sounds fine to me. It's authorized for food plants which, to me, would make it safe for a fish tank.

Thank you for your reply

Thanks for the advice Blueiz, the start of my new hobby almost failed at the starting line!!!!

It would be more reasuring if a few other people would confirm also, however you have put my mind at rest. One more question I have a 670 Ltr tank and I have a Supreme Mag Drive 1800 GPH Pump, do you think the pump is too big for my tank?

Regards

Tony

If you are speaking of pump in terms of your filter, you'll be fine. IMO, the more filtration the better. It's really hard to overfilter a tank. What do you intend to stock your tank with, and is it going to be a freshwater tank or a saltwater tank?

Not too sure yet on stock

It will be forsure a salt water tank, I have made the sump and im in the process buying all the pumps filters skimmer etc.

I just has a bit of a set back with the whole silicone thing, however now my mind is at rest.

For the sump would you advise on Natural filtration or manmade substances?

Tony, what worries me is the statement that it is to be used "above the water line"/
What color is the caulking?
Another thing that is on my mind is does it have a anti mildew agent in it? That would not be good for your animals.

Last edited:
As far as your sump, most people use LR rubble in their sumps as a filtering agent.

The reason I asked is that if it was colored more then likely there was some sort of additive in it and that would not be too good.
Does it say that it has any anit-mildew agents in it?

With a 185 gallon tank you are going to need a good skimmer too. So make sure you have room in your sump.

No there is nothing saying anit-mildew on it, do you think its best just to cut out the overspill on the inside of the tank and reseal with the right silicone?

the reason I worry is that 185g is allot of water and caulking is not that expensive. Like the only thing is that it says above the water line.You said that the sump is finished so you could add water and see if it holds up. If there is a phone or contact # you could contact the manufacture and see what they say.

thincat, thanks for all your advice, I will call them see what they say.

As for the sump I have the correct silicone, however it is black which is why I could not use it on the tank. To be safe I think I will cut out what I can see on the inside of the tank, reseal and maybe put some metal corner strips on the outside of the tank just to make sure. Like you say its a lot of water and i done like swimming in my front room.

Regards

Tony

Just remember that the sump is part of your system, so it should be safe there to. Water runs from your main tank through your sump and back to your main tank.

Last edited:
"thanks for all your advice, I will call them see what they say".
Please let us know what they say.

All the manufacture says is, its not for aquariums. They wont tell me why or what is in it.

I am going to cut out and reseal cant take the risk. Thanks for all your advice im sure I will be back very soon with my next problem.

Regards

Tony.

Back
Top Bottom