I Think I Wanna Finally Add Some Purigen...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While my water did seem to clear up within days of installing the AquaClear 110 and finishing the Stability routine, it still doesn't seem like it's at its clarity potential -- these are goldfish, after all...

I would like to finally try some Purigen, but am leary about how it goes into the filter...should I put it into my Aqueon or the AquaClear? Where does it go exactly? Do I take out the Aqueons' cartridges and just drop the sack of Purigen in the canister? What about if I drop it into the AquaClear -- do I remove, say, the carbon pack and put the Purigen there?

I believe the Purigen does the same thing as the carbon, so I'd remove the carbon from the AC and put the Purigen in its place.

I believe the Purigen does the same thing as the carbon, so I'd remove the carbon from the AC and put the Purigen in its place.

There's gotta be some more benefit to the Purigen other than acting like carbon -- I've read about carbon's "useless functions" up and down these forums, but have also read nothing but glowing responses with regard to Purigen and its "water polishing" qualities...

Can anyone else confirm if Purigen simply does the same thing as carbon?

So, Jim -- if I add the Purigen sack, just squeeze it between the sponge block and the biomax pellets?

Purigen does do more than the carbon. I meant that it removes impurities just like the carbon.

I'd put the Purigen between the sponge and the biomedia.

Purigen certainly does more than carbon. For one, carbon slowly leaks out phosphate back into your tank. That may be good or bad for you. For me I want my phosphate level to be zero so its difficult to find a pure carbon than doesnt leak out a little bit of phosphate.
Also, in the long run Purigen will be less expensive to run because it can be regenerated.

Some have said it beneficial to have both but im not quite sure of that yet. More research needed to be done.
But Purigen sure does polish the water nicely. Crystal clear.
If you are doing the sock method you may not get full results as quick as you may think. I find only about 30% of the Purigen gets exposed to flow when its in a canister or HOB.
The best is to use a reactor and have it fluidized IMO. But thats only if you have approx $70 to spare for the process.

Carbon has to be replaced like once a month maybe more if its a dirty tank. You'd have to do the same for this stuff...except you can clean it not toss and buy more which is the case for carbon.

Purigen does do more than the carbon. I meant that it removes impurities just like the carbon.

I'd put the Purigen between the sponge and the biomedia.

Thanks Jim -- so, just remove the carbon pouch, and drop the Purigen in a sack on top of the sponge, then place the biomax pellet bag?

Purigen certainly does more than carbon. For one, carbon slowly leaks out phosphate back into your tank. That may be good or bad for you. For me I want my phosphate level to be zero so its difficult to find a pure carbon than doesnt leak out a little bit of phosphate.
Also, in the long run Purigen will be less expensive to run because it can be regenerated.

Is there any way to stop carbon from leeching back into the tank? I've heard of this happening...

What about the carbon that's in the typical "cartridges" that I put in my Aqueon filter...will these leech out too?

But Purigen sure does polish the water nicely. Crystal clear.

That's what I need it to do...good to know! Thanks.

How long does it take for it to get a tank pristine like that?

If you are doing the sock method you may not get full results as quick as you may think. I find only about 30% of the Purigen gets exposed to flow when its in a canister or HOB.

Does it have to be placed in a sock? Isn't there a "sack" they sell to drop it in, like the biomax pellets for the AquaClear filters?

The best is to use a reactor and have it fluidized IMO. But thats only if you have approx $70 to spare for the process.

I would only be willing to do the drop-it-in-the-filter method...

Carbon has to be replaced like once a month maybe more if its a dirty tank. You'd have to do the same for this stuff...except you can clean it not toss and buy more which is the case for carbon.

So, does that also apply to the carbon loaded "cartridges" for the cheaper HOBs, like the Aqueon filter I have?

Is there any way to stop carbon from leeching back into the tank? I've heard of this happening...

What about the carbon that's in the typical "cartridges" that I put in my Aqueon filter...will these leech out too?
Yes, I beleive those cartridges do leech out phosphates.

Theres no way for any of us to stop carbon phosphates from leeching back into the tank. But what you could do is limit the amount of it by not buying cheap noname brand carbons.

Ive been doing some research into the Two Little Fishes HydroCarbon 2.Its claims that it emits zero phosphates so i'm a bit skeptical. Im wondering if its better or same quality as the Seachem Matrix Carbon.

That's what I need it to do...good to know! Thanks.
How long does it take for it to get a tank pristine like that?
For my tank its taken me approx 4days.
I use to constantly have this film of moss green color algae that would show up 3days after a through clean. Part and partial due to the fact I have an 18k T5 bulb too.
But ever since I added 2 reactors with a phosphate remover and Purigen my water is crystal.
And I can now leave my lights on longer

Does it have to be placed in a sock? Isn't there a "sack" they sell to drop it in, like the biomax pellets for the AquaClear filters?
The fine mesh sack you're thinking about is whats called a sock.
Usually 100microns is the average thou Seachems sock is higher at 180 microns I think.

There is no one 'magic' media that will do it all. Thou Purigen is pretty close. Im highly suggest a phosphate remover along with Purigen for great results.
At any rate, I would add 2 socks/sacks into your canister/HOB. One with a phosphate remover and one with Purigen.
Your results may take longer to achieve than mine (because im using reactors) but when they do come you will be pleased.
Just make sure to clean the entire tank first including the canister before you add the media's.

GL

Yes, I beleive those cartridges do leech out phosphates.

Theres no way for any of us to stop carbon phosphates from leeching back into the tank. But what you could do is limit the amount of it by not buying cheap noname brand carbons.

Ive been doing some research into the Two Little Fishes HydroCarbon 2.Its claims that it emits zero phosphates so i'm a bit skeptical. Im wondering if its better or same quality as the Seachem Matrix Carbon.

Well, I simply replace my Aqueon filter's carts every so often with their brand that works with the model...

For my tank its taken me approx 4days.
I use to constantly have this film of moss green color algae that would show up 3days after a through clean. Part and partial due to the fact I have an 18k T5 bulb too.
But ever since I added 2 reactors with a phosphate remover and Purigen my water is crystal.
And I can now leave my lights on longer

Nice to know...just want something to get this water polished already!

The fine mesh sack you're thinking about is whats called a sock.
Usually 100microns is the average thou Seachems sock is higher at 180 microns I think.

Okay -- with regard to these "socks" (which I didn't realize was the term used to describe the "sacks" for media), how do I go about getting some pre-loaded with the Purigen already in there? Does Seachem offer a package that's pre-loaded, ready to drop?

There is no one 'magic' media that will do it all. Thou Purigen is pretty close. Im highly suggest a phosphate remover along with Purigen for great results.
At any rate, I would add 2 socks/sacks into your canister/HOB. One with a phosphate remover and one with Purigen.
Your results may take longer to achieve than mine (because im using reactors) but when they do come you will be pleased.
Just make sure to clean the entire tank first including the canister before you add the media's.

GL

Thanks -- I don't know, though, if I am going to have space for two sacks of Purigen in either of my HOBs; if I were to place a sack in the Aqueon filter, which takes the cartridges for media, where would I place it? In place of the cartridges?

And I need to clean the entire tank before adding the Purigen?

Okay -- with regard to these "socks" (which I didn't realize was the term used to describe the "sacks" for media), how do I go about getting some pre-loaded with the Purigen already in there? Does Seachem offer a package that's pre-loaded, ready to drop?

Yes they make prepackaged Purigen
SeaChem Purigen Filter Media - 100 mL

Thanks -- I don't know, though, if I am going to have space for two sacks of Purigen in either of my HOBs; if I were to place a sack in the Aqueon filter, which takes the cartridges for media, where would I place it? In place of the cartridges?
And I need to clean the entire tank before adding the Purigen?
The sock doesnt need to be totally filled to be effective. 4 heaping tablespoons of a good phosphate remover like RowaPhos or PhosGuard will do a 75G tank easily.
I don't know what your HOB looks like so im not sure how much room you have. But its better to have a few tablespoons of it in bags than none at all.
And yes I would do at least some cleaning/scrubbing before I add the media. Your results will be clearly visible sooner if the tank is at least half way already clean.

Yes they make prepackaged Purigen
SeaChem Purigen Filter Media - 100 mL

Thank you!!!

The sock doesnt need to be totally filled to be effective. 4 heaping tablespoons of a good phosphate remover like RowaPhos or PhosGuard will do a 75G tank easily.
I don't know what your HOB looks like so im not sure how much room you have. But its better to have a few tablespoons of it in bags than none at all.

Here's one of my HOBs, the less powerful Aqueon:

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/shop_image/product/3e1c9c78c78ef3526306d9f267791299.jpg

Here's the other filter I'm running, an AquaClear 110:

http://www.petmeister.com/usrimage/cat5.gif

And yes I would do at least some cleaning/scrubbing before I add the media. Your results will be clearly visible sooner if the tank is at least half way already clean.

How crazy do I need to get with cleaning the interior of the tank itself?

Back
Top Bottom