I think it's finally time for a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarrette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been running my 75gl tank with no filter for about 4 years with no problems. All I run two power heads, a bakpak protein skimmer, and about 90lbs of live rock. Water tests come out clean, etc. I do a 10gl water change every month until recently since I injured my ankle pretty bad to the point where I can't walk at all. So I haven't actually changed my water for about 60 days.

I always run a really light load in my tank. For a while I only had an Oscellaris and a Yellow Tang. Recently I added an adult Copper Banded to control a few Aptasia that had sprung up. My yellow tang started to get these red spots near the top of his body, which from what I've seen on the web is probably some sort of bacterial infection from poor water quality. As of yesterday, he is gone. I am sure he has died and been digested by my cleaner crew.

I have come to the conclusion that I may want to get my first ever salt water filter as a buffer for situations just like this. Money is a factor for me right now. I did run across this filter the other day which seems decent and will fit in my price range....

Marineland Multi-Stage Canister Filters, Filters | Pet Solutions

How often will I be changing my media on this? Is it a good choice for my tank? Will a filter show a noticeable change in my tank water quality?

Personally... I'd try more frequent water changes before adding a cannister. The cannister won't add much additional water volume, and if you keep the sponges/media in it that come with it, you'll have to clean those out weekly to keep your nitrates from running away from you. So rather than doing weekly maintenance on a cannister, I'd just spend the additional time doing more water changes. That's my thinking, at least.

Is there anyone that could help you haul water until your ankle gets better? Bad news about the injury, but I just don't think there's any good substitute for frequent water changes.

I agree with Kurt that the frequent PWC`s will be better. PWC`s not only dilute excessive nutrients and freshen the water but they add valuable trace elements that have been used up by the different processes of a SW tank.

I totally agree with Kurt. More frequent PWCs and maybe a bit larger and you should be golden, especially since you have had the tank running for 4 years, I wouldn't mess with a proven system.

Back
Top Bottom