I want to start adding plants but just read carbon can take out ferts?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a bid on a 36" T5 fixture 10000k, I was just thinking about what material I should use in my filter instead of the premade carbon filters....HELP! :) thanks

Im hoping I don't get in over my head with all this....lol I want low-medium light plants and would prefer not to dose with Co2

There is no need to run carbon, after 2 weeks it does not really work anymore anyway. I do not know what kind of filter you have but there is always a way to remove the carbon. That being said, I doubt carbon removes much from the water that plants need to grow anyway.

You can have a very nicely planted tank without the use of CO2.

rich311k said:
There is no need to run carbon, after 2 weeks it does not really work anymore anyway. I do not know what kind of filter you have but there is always a way to remove the carbon. That being said, I doubt carbon removes much from the water that plants need to grow anyway.

You can have a very nicely planted tank without the use of CO2.

I have removed the carbon before but my lfs sells all the supplies to make DIY filters but im not sure what to buy.....any suggestions? Ultimately I would be able to buy sheets of the blue or white" batting" type material and cut them to fit each of my filters (I have 4 tanks) Im just not sure what else to put in there if I need layers of filter media?

These are the filters I currently have: Penguin Biowheel 150 on my 30 gal, whisper "J" on one of my 10g, aquatech 5-10 on another 10g and a topfin 20 on my 3rd 10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom