ice cap ballast HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
so I bought a used 660 ballest off ebay but the wirring harness was cut so that there was only about 6 inches of wire left. I went ahead and added more wire to the short pieces by twisting them together and taping it with electrical tape. this made the wires long enough but every time I plug it in it blows the fuse in the ballast. Any suggestions on how to make it stop blowing the fuse????

You have to make sure the bulbs are in the end-caps correctly. Its the auto-off safety feature of the Icecap660.

The end caps have little standoff of where you could screw them into a hood/canopy -- its easier to tell if your bulbs are in correctly if they have internal reflectors like the URI bulbs -- the standoffs will be up and the light side of the bulbs will be facing down.

http://www.icecap.com/ has some answers to several good FAQ's.

...are you running a one, two, three or four bulb configuration?

ok when you bought your icecap used did you get the wiring diagram with it icecap has a linked wiring and if one wire is in the wrong place it will light then go right out went threw this on my icecap 660i have the diagram if you need it i can scan it and send it o ya if need be also make sure there aint a short in your twist i would recomend some waterproof crimp connectors that have the shrink coating you heat up too any other probs with your icecap just ask i think i went threw them all :lol:

great links schoeplein i hated those wiring diagrams :lol: i had the same problem as whitetiprs my wires were cut at all different lengths and for the cost of a new harness i whnet to radio shack cut some wire and reran it from the plug into the ballast

The guy I bought mine from had cut them all similar lengths, even spliced in a quick connect, a wire mount, and the Icecap Digital timer. :)

(but I still had issues with it cutting out, all I had to do was reverse how the bulbs were sitting in the end caps)

ya for about a months i had my uri's upside doown in my top but i got the best reflector on the makret i put a mirror in my top left over mirror from a head board all my light goes down into the tank as for my ballast it was burning my bulbs for a little bit but that went away dont know what that issue was but they would run for about a week then burn out went threw alot of bulbs still dont know about that one

Back
Top Bottom