I'm about to go crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditchdoctor81

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been pretty busy lately, but I've been trying to clean out the 100g used aquarium I got a few weeks ago. As some of you know it has a problem with hard water stains. I've cleaned, and cleaned, & cleaned & can not get rid of the white haze. I've tried numerous tricks & suggestions from other members, but NOTHING will get it off. It looks like it comes off, but as soon as the glass dries it's right back. My question is, if I go ahead & use it since when I get the glass wet it doesn't show the white haze, will the stains show up or will they be gone? I no one can tell me for sure, but what would you all think?

I've started calling local aquariums pricing a new tank to fit on my stand (in case that's the way I'm going to have to go) & they all tell me they don't have anything that fits my stand! The surface the aquarium sits on is 60" x 16". The largest it could possibly hold & be safe is 60 1/2" x 16 1/2". Do I just need to start looking for a whole new setup or what?

I thought at the beginning that it would take a week max to clean it, 1 more week to get everything & set it up & I thought I'd already have water & rocks by now! I'm just starting to get upset with the whole situation. Any input would be great.

Thanks
Jonathon

I don't know for sure but in my 10 gln. tank when the water falls three inches I have the white haze. When I add water you can't see the white haze but the glass isn't as clear to see through either. If it were more than just the top three inches it would really bug me.
Here is a site to possibly get a new tank to order:http://www.glasscages.com/ - just in case you have to go that route.
Good luck.

ditchdoctor81 said:
I've started calling local aquariums pricing a new tank to fit on my stand (in case that's the way I'm going to have to go) & they all tell me they don't have anything that fits my stand!
See if they can special order one for you. I find when they special order, they don't charge as much, but that just might be only my LFS.
If you have water in there and it doesn't show up you might be ok. Are there a lot of spots, or just a few?

Might it be worth the trouble to fill the tank, at least part way, and put the lights on to see if the haze is a visual problem when the tank has water in it? I know it's a 100g so it isn't going to be easy.

Have you tried Bleach? This can be done. Just add a cap of it to a bucket of water and wash tank with it. You`ll need to rinse real well and let it dry completely and you should be OK. I always for good measure add some dechlorinator when I fill the tank up and let it run for awhile. The key is you have to let it dry completely. Like a few days. Hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom