Impossible to get tank level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. So my tank has been moved into various spots of my apartment because my floors are extremely unlevel. We (my brother and I) actually have what we like to call a speedbump right next to our kitchen-it's that unlevel, haha. A few weeks ago I finally moved my tank and stand into my bedroom and messed with the stand a bit by using thick pieces of cardboard (always worked for me in the past). If we try to level it one way, it gets unlevel another way. It's a constant effort, and it seriously seems like this tank is impossible to get level without some serious engineering. The tank, though, is not THAT unlevel. For instance: if I fill the tank up to the lip, water hits the trim at these areas, while the rest of the water is just missing the trim:

RIGHT-front
FRONT-right
LEFT-back
sort of BACK-left

What should I do? I'm worried that this constant uneven pressure will cause my tank to burst, regardless of the fact that the unlevel parts are only a fraction off from being level (with the small exception of the back of the tank which may be an issue). I guess we need to put more effort into leveling it up, but it is extremely difficult, since as I stated, moving it a tiny bit in one corner results in it being far off in another corner. It's like the tank is on a wave of the floor! I'll come back with a picture to show you. I know it seems silly, or like we're just stupid in terms of knowing how to level things, but we've tried every combination of height and every position. We do this with the tank on the stand when it's half empty and it's not heavy at all. Do you think the middle of the stand is resting on an unlevel part of the floor?

img_1287014_0_44e4a184a0e7d9cecb919f16ef5884f9.jpg

img_1287014_1_5c781a439de2f909320b642e144b94ae.jpg

img_1287014_2_c30c22813bce821f0a598660e851cbbc.jpg

Really? That's great to know. If you think that it won't be an issue, then awesome!

FWIW, I leak tested my 10g rimless in a bathtub... It was about 3/4" from being level on one end. as full as it would get on the other. You're talking what, 1/8" off? I don't think it'll cause an issue

I had that same problem with my 37g tall and was able to get it level using wood shims. The carpet and pad on top of an unlevel floor made it a pain, so I put a piece of 3/4" plywood down (cut to fit the stands foot print) which made it easier.

IMO if it's off an 1/8" or less on smaller tanks it should be fine, but with bigger tanks I'd be concerned about silicone failure too.

Cool, thanks for the responses, guys. Better safe than sorry! Different people need to start answering my threads because it won't let me give rep to you guys anymore ;)

Yea, I have a 26 gallon bow that is so unlevel on carpet that when I'm refilling the tank - the front left water level will reach the "top black" when the back right corner still has about 1/2 inch of airspace left.

What I've seen generally from discussions on aquariums being level is that the level of the setup is not so important as the fact that the aquarium itself sits evenly on the stand. Because if the aquarium is not pressing evenly on all edges of the stand - that can cause point-stresses on the joints of the aquarium which can lead to an early demise.

Yea, I have a 26 gallon bow that is so unlevel on carpet that when I'm refilling the tank - the front left water level will reach the "top black" when the back right corner still has about 1/2 inch of airspace left.

What I've seen generally from discussions on aquariums being level is that the level of the setup is not so important as the fact that the aquarium itself sits evenly on the stand. Because if the aquarium is not pressing evenly on all edges of the stand - that can cause point-stresses on the joints of the aquarium which can lead to an early demise.

What kind of stands would people have where it doesn't sit level on the stand itself?

Someone here posted a picture of an acrylic tank that was so warped it wouldn't sit flat on the stand, even when filled.

I don't see any mention of shims. You can put shims under the stand to make the tank level.

A warped tank? Weird.

Yeah I thought about using shims I guess, but since everyone seems to think it's not an issue, I think I'll leave it alone.

Good point, Jim. But for a 10g I really don't see a problem.

As long as the tank isn't being twisted it should be fine. I honestly don't think I've ever had a completely level tank. Always been off by about 1/8th or so, either longways or front to back.

Back
Top Bottom