In sump heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankieg2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi new to saltwater, I have a 72 gal. tank with a wet/dry filter and i want to put a heater in the sump to cut down on clutter in the tank any sugestions or is it a bad idea?

Its a great idea, thats what most people do. Thats why most people run sumps, not only for extra capacity(which never hurts) but also to hide most of the equipment so its not in the display tank.

Shane.

Thanks guys, My problem now is what heater to buy, My sump is 12" long so I need a heater that is 300 watts and shorter than 12", I bought a ViaAqua Titanium heater 300 wattts it"s 12" long but the instructions say to mount in the tank never in the filter and the heater to be straight up and down, So i need Help finding the right heater. Frank

I mount my 2 titanium heaters in my sump. Both are sitting diagonally about 3" apart. That's the only way they'll fit. No problem with them in several years of use.

Are you sure the heater instructions state that it can only be used in a vertical position?

I use 2 heaters, that way they dont have to be as big and if there is a problem with one sticking on you have less of a chance of having a tank full of fish chowder.. I have been using the Marineland Visi-therm heaters, I run two- 200watt.. They are completely submersible and I havent had any trouble with them..

What brand our your titanium heaters? And what size is your tank? I don't know if i can put two of them in there with the return pump and skimmer and yes the instructions state only in the tank and vertical position.
My sump is:
Eshopps wet/dry sump filter model 100 18"x12"x16" 15 gal. pump area is 12"x9"x16"

I also have a marineland stealth heater that I did have in my 35 gal, I know use it to heat mixed saltwater when doing a water change. It is completly submersible also.. I think if you look around at the LFS or online you could find 1 or 2 heaters that would be small enough to fit in your sump.. Or you can keep the heater you have and install it in the display tank and just hide it with some rock or something so it is less visible.

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom