In-sump protein skimmer placement in wet-dry trickle filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can a in-sump protein skimmer be placed in the same section of a wet/dry trickle filter where the return pump is located???

I have mine in the return area of my refuge and it works good. Been there for yrs.

Marineland in-sump skimmer positioned next to return pump???

I was worried that with the pump for the skimmer and the Mag 5 pump for the return so close together, that they would somehow work against each other pulling water from the same area and in such close proximity without baffle seperation. The Mag 5 has a filter sponge for the intake. Should I keep this on to prevent air bubbles from the skimmer??? Also I was considering The Marineland 100 in-sump skimmer because of it's smaller footprint. It's a tight fit.

it's not the pumps you have to worry about, it's the ever changing water level in the return area. it's going to make it very hard for the skimmer to be efficient.
you could also check into a HOB skimmer. octopus makes some powerful HOB skimmers now.

I have a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 in my return area with my skimmer. As Doug said you have to keep an eye on water levels. I have a line drawn on my refuge/sump so I know to add water.

Back
Top Bottom