inland seas nu-clear canister filter and marinepure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello, i am wanting to put two of these on my 90 gallon freshwater, one for mechanical (522) and one for bio filtration (506). i want to run marinepure, either the 1.5" spheres or the 2" blocks. still not sure which would be better for my application. i have not yet purchased the filters or media. i would prefer to have too much bio than just enough. my questions are: how much bio media do they hold? will that be enough to support a heavily stocked tank? thanks

Did you have any luck with this. In my canisters I have found I can stack the ceramic media to double the amount and still keep good flow. However when I think back to the old days of just using carbon and filter wool I wonder if this is all over-kill. I've been tempted to take some media back out and make life easier.

due to lack of answers i figured i would get my own... just got them in the mail today. i ended up going with the model 533 for mechanical filtration, btw. opened them up after work to inspect. found the interior dimensions of the 506 where 8.75" diameter and the height to be 7.5". measured the height from the top of the "full flow grid" to the flange where the oring seal is at. by my calculations that is approximately 2 gallons of available space. there is some dome to the lid but i dont think im going to count that. after an email to mariepure, they recommended 2 quarts of the 1.5" spheres. so i guess im going to use 2 gallons of the stuff. if 2 quarts is enough... more has got to be better right? for what its worth the "full flow grid" is a tight fit and also measured 8.75" in diameter. before the email to marinepure i was also tempted to buy a couple 8x8x4 blocks of marinepure and cut to fit. still may. idk. anyway ive got a gallon of the spheres in my fluidized k1 section of my sump to hopefully encourage some bacteria migration. considering that there is so little info about these canister filters, it makes me wonder if they are junk or an unspoken resource. also picked up a reeflo swordtail pump to drive it all. i dont have any experience with these pumps either.

Back
Top Bottom