instead of a python....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anyone ever tried just using a sump pump to do water changes?

just thinking of how long a 30% PWC takes on my 45 gal.... and now im setting up a 90 gal..... not to mention my water bill will probably double!

If you accidentally suck up an animal.. it will get shredded by the propeller. You also can't suck up sand(to clean it) with a pump because it will jam or damage the propeller. I would rather use a python because if anything gets sucked up, you can quickly retrieve it.

If you accidentally suck up an animal.. it will get shredded by the propeller. You also can't suck up sand(to clean it) with a pump because it will jam or damage the propeller. I would rather use a python because if anything gets sucked up, you can quickly retrieve it.

hahahaha! guess i should have thought that one out a lil more... thats what i get for an impulse post... now im thinking modification.... how about some type of pump on the end of the python....?

i just run my python hose out the window to keep down the water costs, because i do a 50% pwc weekly on my 150g, it would cost a fortune to run the faucet the whole time ;)

i just run my python hose out the window to keep down the water costs, because i do a 50% pwc weekly on my 150g, it would cost a fortune to run the faucet the whole time ;)

That's what I do on all the tanks but the BW. I don't know if the plants outside would enjoy reef salt. *lol*

i dont know about these guys... i wish i could just siphon out a window... but im in a basement apartment..... water doesnt like to siphon up hill...

theres got to be a way i can pump it out... and only use the python to clean gravel and put water back in the tank....

Do you guys run into problems in the winter?

no, cause in the winter, i dont open a window, i just stick the hose in the shower and close the door against the hose to keep it from coming out. works just as good.

i dont know about these guys... i wish i could just siphon out a window... but im in a basement apartment..... water doesnt like to siphon up hill...

theres got to be a way i can pump it out... and only use the python to clean gravel and put water back in the tank....
see above ;)

I use a sunterra pump to do PWC's on 3 of my tanks.

Its a in tank water pump for fountains and what not but the nipple fits the hose. set it in the tank, run the hose to the drain(get charged for it here anyways what comes in they charge the same to go out in my village) stir up the gravel a bit and all that crap goes right INTO the pump and out the hose. I put a pantyhose from the wife's work clothes drawer to prefilter to keep baby fish out of the drain.

I use a sunterra pump to do PWC's on 3 of my tanks.........I put a pantyhose from the wife's work clothes drawer to prefilter to keep baby fish out of the drain.

i do believe i will be doing this.... just sounds so much faster then a siphon....

you put the pantyhose on the end of the tube at the drain? or before the pump in the tank?

I use a sunterra pump to do PWC's on 3 of my tanks.

Its a in tank water pump for fountains and what not but the nipple fits the hose. set it in the tank, run the hose to the drain(get charged for it here anyways what comes in they charge the same to go out in my village) stir up the gravel a bit and all that crap goes right INTO the pump and out the hose. I put a pantyhose from the wife's work clothes drawer to prefilter to keep baby fish out of the drain.

How does the wife feel about her missing pantyhose? *lol*

no on the pump itself before I put it in the tank, I keep invasive plants and have several traps inline with my DIY python just to keep them out of the water supply being its the river that runs directly thru the middle of town.

I got the pump with a tank I got out of a foreclosure clean out(1200 dollar tank for free) It says sunterra on there and its about 3"x3"x3" and pumps a good 8' straight up(plugged it in with nozzle end up in a 5g bucket of water, sprayed the snot out of my basement ceiling with vinegar water oops), I use a 1/2" gravel vac(LEE's) hose to the nozzle on the pump and run it right out the window.

if your women is larger, double to triple up on the pantyhose. my wife is tiny so her pantyhose end up like 400-600 micron filtration.

no, cause in the winter, i dont open a window, i just stick the hose in the shower and close the door against the hose to keep it from coming out. works just as good.

Funny you should say that.. since i do the EXACT same thing. The shower door keeps it from spitting water all over the place. It's great lol.. don't even have to worry about it.

BigJim, the amount of time my hose is outside in the winter and the temp of the water going out, it doesnt freeze the hose, I use camper/RV potable water hose for mine, a little more pliable,kinks more but when that warm water is in it its like jello.

I gotta pump UP and OUT I did use the shower drain yesterday cause I cut the lawn but it usually goes outside into the backyard a good 60' away from my tanks.

Dragon, she still hasnt caught on, its great so far, but ww4 is coming to the devils house thats for sure when she finds out. Oh well, figure she bought them last summer and still in package= fair game LOL

dont open windows in the winter? my bedroom doesnt have windows, just thick lexan and screen with fans, I cant stand no fresh air. all winter wide open and fan on, even on our below zero days, its not cold just lack of warmth.

good deal! looks like i will be buying a pump!! im guessing something that has a flow rate of about 800-900 GPH should do it....

90 gal tank... 30% PWC = 27 gal....... 27 gal @ 900 GPH = 2 min? that sounds so much nicer!

Do you guys run into problems in the winter?
No problems in winter, and it gets to -40 here ....

I just open the window a crack & push the hose out. There is enough water flowing to keep the hose from freezing. Opening the window of course does cool down the house, so I try to get things done as fast as possible. Also, I am dumping the water out in a fair size bed. I make sure the hose is out at least a few feet from the house, so I don't get ice against the house foundation. And with the big flower bed, the water (30 or 40 gal at a time) gets soaked up in the snow, so no chance of water run off & icing up a walkway.

soooo... since i just figured out what i think a powerhead is.... could i just use one of those and some tubing? would basically be the same thing as a pond pump right??? or am i way out in left field?

soooo... since i just figured out what i think a powerhead is.... could i just use one of those and some tubing? would basically be the same thing as a pond pump right??? or am i way out in left field?

Power heads are not designed to pump water up hill, otherwise it is just a pump. As long as you are pumping downhill, it should work.

Back
Top Bottom