is 2x250watts metal halide too much for a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i found 2 250 watts metal halide for a good price but the dude said it would be too much for a 55 is this true

If you plan on a SPS tank then you might be OK.

yes i want a sps tank but also want to keep all my other corals too but could i just put other corals in shaded areas.

but you said "might be ok" does that mean too much or maybe not enough.

I`m thinking 10 watts per gallon might be rough. I`ll wait for the MH folks to answer seeing I have VHO lights.

The biggest concern I see with using dual 250s on a 55 is the heat. You are going to need to make very sure that there is a lot of air flow through your canopy to keep things cool. I would also keep the bulbs at least 12" off the surface of the water. Other then that you will be fine in using them on that tank.

The biggest concern I see with using dual 250s on a 55 is the heat. You are going to need to make very sure that there is a lot of air flow through your canopy to keep things cool. I would also keep the bulbs at least 12" off the surface of the water. Other then that you will be fine in using them on that tank.

what if i get the 2 175 instead would you guys prefer the 2x250 or the 2x175 but the 2x175 it 50 bucks more.

2x250 is alot, but not excessive. You would just have to keep some corals lower in the tank. You would be just as successful with 2x175 over a 55. The $50 cost increase would be made up pretty quick in power consumption compared to the 250's.

Back
Top Bottom