Is 542 Watts in a 55g Tank Too Much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I have a 55g Tank, See my info for what my setup is...

Basically, Right now I have just 2 Clown Fish, A few Shrimp, a few Crabs, a few nails, and a watchman goby....

I would Like to keep an Anenomy, Although Right now I am just trying to get all my fish.

Anyway, Back to my Question...

I am looking at buying a light on ebay It has 542 total watts which is:
Metal Halide: 2 x 175W HQI double ended
Fluorescent: 2 x 96W Power Compact

That's almost 10 watts per gal, I am wondering if this is too much?

I hope to have 1 large fish in the tank, but I am not sure which fish right now. I was hoping for a Copper Banded Butterfly, but after 3 of them, the last Having not gotten sick at all, and still dieing... I am giving up on them. I Like a couple of the other butterflys, but all the others say they are not reef safe, so I am not sure what I will choose.

I don't know If bright light bothers fish or inverts at all? That is why I am asking before I buy this light.

Thanks,

-TheChad

It all depends on what you want to keep that is photosynthetic. What kind of corals interest you? Identify that first and then you can select the appropriate lighting to best meet thier needs.

By the way, 175 watt metal halides are mogul base (screw in) lamps while 150 watts ones come in double ended versions.

I agree. There is no reason in getting them unless you want to keep high light requiring species. So, what were your plans for the tank? For the most part, no, that is not too much light. But it may be overkill if you aren't planning on high light species.

Steven Pro said:
It all depends on what you want to keep that is photosynthetic. What kind of corals interest you? Identify that first and then you can select the appropriate lighting to best meet thier needs.

By the way, 175 watt metal halides are mogul base (screw in) lamps while 150 watts ones come in double ended versions.

Is screw in Metal halides not as good as double ended? Is there a disadvantage to these?

At this point I don't know what I am going to get. The only thing I know I'd like to get is a Blue Carpet Anenome, or possibly another type.

If having that much light wont hurt or bother anything else, Then i'd like to just buy a light that will be enough for most options I will have to choose from.

Thanks,

-TheChad

TheChad said:
Is screw in Metal halides not as good as double ended? Is there a disadvantage to these?
The only issue with screw-in bulbs is from possible corrosion of the threads.
Always coat the threads with a light film of vaseline before screwing them in, and you shouldn't have any problem.

MH

The porcelin mogul socket kind are ok, but double ended are better IMO.

CBB's are hit or miss, just like many angels.

Also, try for T5's, they are a little more efficient and longer lasting than PC. Better as far as intensity as well.

These are the Model's I am looking at:

Jebo Metal Halide / T5 Combo (2x150watt HQI, 2x54watt T5 + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 408 Watts - $420

Odyssea Metal Halide / PC Combo (2x175watt HQI, 2x96watt PC + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 542 Watts - $360

Coralife Aqualight Plus PC (4x96watt PC + Lunar Lights) Total Power = 384 Watts - $465

I really would like to get out the door for under $400, but am willing to go to $500.

So are any of these good? or do any of you have another suggestion?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Be wary of the first one. I just completed a transaction almost exactly like that with Rocky Mountain Reef (same seller). The first fixture I ordered was damaged in warehouse and was the only one in stock. They then directed me to an auction for a lesser fixture that still suited my needs, so I bought it. When it arrived, it was not the fixture pictured in the auction and had the T5 and moonlights on the same circuiit. You can read all about it here:

Link

Also that first auction states "2 large clusters of LED moonlights included" which means it isn't the item pictured in the auction either. It's a finbe light at a fine price, but I have to have someone re-wire the fixture to suit my needs. Be wary of this seller. I left positive feedback because it was resolved to my satisfaction, sort of, but were I to know the details of how it would go down, I wouldn't purchase from them again.

The first two are very poorly made and low quality fixtures as well as known to start fires.

The Coralife is better but I say T5 over PC

Check Hellolights.com and you can get better, for cheaper

Mike469 said:
The first two are very poorly made and low quality fixtures as well as known to start fires.

The Coralife is better but I say T5 over PC

Check Hellolights.com and you can get better, for cheaper

In additions to my trials and tribulations with these lights, I just found out that the bulbs were 25 watts less each than as stated in auction. That was the last straw, I just messaged seller and told them I wanted to return this item after a completely unsatisfactory ebay experience. Stay away from rockymountreef!

Seller wrote this back:

The ballast in the fixture overdrives the bulb to achieve 175 watts of power with no problem- you can read the transistor inside powering ballast and it says this directly on it

This sounds like extremely bad news, both in terms of bulb life and fire hazard. Am I crazy here or should I continue to push to return the unit?

clearerphish said:
Seller wrote this back:

The ballast in the fixture overdrives the bulb to achieve 175 watts of power with no problem- you can read the transistor inside powering ballast and it says this directly on it

This sounds like extremely bad news, both in terms of bulb life and fire hazard. Am I crazy here or should I continue to push to return the unit?

Sounds illegit to me.

It's like selling a computer that's been overclocked and not mentioning that when rating the speed. Scamming IMO.

I do not know about this situation but, you can overdrive a fixture and it is not always a fire hazard at all.

I have T5's that are overdriven. With T5's, Individual reflectors and overdriven bulbs give the most light. ALOT of reefers run SPS/Clam tanks on overdriven Ice Cap ballasts with T5's.

What fixture did you get?

Hey all,

I started to rething the whole Lighting ideas, and found that most of these lights are 11.5" wide. I have a canopy on top of my 55g tank, and If I were to place a light that was 11.5" wide under there, I would not be able to even access my tank from the top. The only way would be to remove the canopy every time. This is really not an option because it is just far too much work to feed and maintain the tank.

So Does anyone know any other options that I can get power without that kind of width?

Again I can't say for sure what corals I want to keep, But I know i'd like to keep an Anemone, hopefully one my Clowns with host to.

How much light do I really need? 7, 8, 10wpg?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom