Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 28
Is it possible to use 2 filters? Any advice helps!

I have a 55 gallon fish tank, it was a starter kit so it came with a filter, I have an old filter I used for my 20 gallon tank, can I throw it in there too? Or would that be counter productive? I only ask because I bought a 50 gallon tank about a month ago and it was starting to get cloudy and I saw little white fuzz balls floating around. Any advice?

__________________
Dsudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Aiken Drum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Posts: 3,716
If your tank is cycled, adding another filter wont make it more cycled. You will still end up with the same amount of nitrate produced by your cycle. But there are plusses to running 2 filters.

The additional filtration will mean your tank can cycle out more ammonia. So, you could stock more heavily with the additional filtration. However more ammonia leads to more nitrate which would mean more water changes.

If one filter isnt sufficient to cycle out all the ammonia then adding another filter will help.

A 2nd filter will help with mechanical filtration, the additional filter should do some work removing particles from the water.

A 2nd filter will give you some capacity for chemical media should you need it.

2 filters gives you redundancy. If one filter fails and you don't notice for some reason, the other will keep running and provide filtration.

Filter maintenance and cleaning can kill off some of the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle. 2 filters and alternating maintenance minimises the impact of cleaning and maintenance on your cycle.
__________________
Aiken Drum
Community Moderator
Aiken Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsudnick View Post
I have a 55 gallon fish tank, it was a starter kit so it came with a filter, I have an old filter I used for my 20 gallon tank, can I throw it in there too? Or would that be counter productive? I only ask because I bought a 50 gallon tank about a month ago and it was starting to get cloudy and I saw little white fuzz balls floating around. Any advice?
Hello, I personally like having 2 filters on tanks. I don't separate bio from mechanical. Both have a standard set up for canisters. The advantage is the tank gets filtered from both sides keeping tank cleaner, outputs are fitted one w/ directional nozel for flow, other has spray bar for added oxygen & maintenance is actually easier because waste is spread between the 2 filters. Hopefully this helps!!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220528-160154.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	323515
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.j.gomez View Post
Hello, I personally like having 2 filters on tanks. I don't separate bio from mechanical. Both have a standard set up for canisters. The advantage is the tank gets filtered from both sides keeping tank cleaner, outputs are fitted one w/ directional nozel for flow, other has spray bar for added oxygen & maintenance is actually easier because waste is spread between the 2 filters. Hopefully this helps!!!!!Attachment 323515


Awesome thank you for the reply! Even tho I have a second filter that is made for a 20 gallon tank it wont hurt right?
__________________
Dsudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
If your tank is cycled, adding another filter wont make it more cycled. You will still end up with the same amount of nitrate produced by your cycle. But there are plusses to running 2 filters.

The additional filtration will mean your tank can cycle out more ammonia. So, you could stock more heavily with the additional filtration. However more ammonia leads to more nitrate which would mean more water changes.

If one filter isnt sufficient to cycle out all the ammonia then adding another filter will help.

A 2nd filter will help with mechanical filtration, the additional filter should do some work removing particles from the water.

A 2nd filter will give you some capacity for chemical media should you need it.

2 filters gives you redundancy. If one filter fails and you don't notice for some reason, the other will keep running and provide filtration.

Filter maintenance and cleaning can kill off some of the beneficial bacteria responsible for your cycle. 2 filters and alternating maintenance minimises the impact of cleaning and maintenance on your cycle.


Awesome thank you for the reply! Even tho I have a second filter that is made for a 20 gallon tank it wont hurt right?
__________________
Dsudnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
m.j.gomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Farmington, n.m.
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsudnick View Post
Awesome thank you for the reply! Even tho I have a second filter that is made for a 20 gallon tank it wont hurt right?
There shouldn't be a problem. As long as it fits tank. You should be good to go.
__________________
m.j.gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, filter, filters, lps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Platy babies die after their tails turn white and curves downward! Any helps? ijackyee0723 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 7 09-07-2014 02:18 AM
filter helps whats good ? now days juve5586 Member Introductions 1 10-01-2011 04:17 PM
what is best thing that helps to lowering your nitrates? kaz Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 01-11-2006 11:43 AM
Fish Digestion: How does it work? What helps it? krystian Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 08-14-2005 05:40 PM
Qn's abt SW. Helps if you're Aussie! :) extremenewb Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 04-21-2005 02:13 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.