Is This 55 Gallon Kit a Good Value?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kc27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm considering purchasing a new Aqueon 55 gallon aquarium kit for $165, which includes the items listed below.

I already have a net, water conditioner, and food for my current tank, so those items don't offer much value to me. But what about the kit as a whole? Does this seem like a good deal? I'm not opposed to buying a used tank, either (if I can find one). Just wasn't sure if these was a good price for new equipment. It's going to be used to house goldfish.

Glass Aquarium with Black Trim
QuietFlow™ Power Filter 55
Filter Cartridge
Deluxe Fluorescent Hood
Fluorescent Bulb
Submersible Heater
Aquarium Set-up and Care Guide
Water Conditioner
Digital Thermometer
Premeium Fish Food
Fish Net

Link here to Aqueon info on this product http://tinyurl.com/ydffww7

I got a Top Fin 55 starter a while back. They look basically the same, according to that link. I went for it because just the aquarium/hood alone costs $130ish. I figure the net, thermometer, and heater are worth the extra money.

Having said all of that, I did end up getting rid of the stock filter. It made a ton of noise, so I exchanged it, plus a few bucks extra, for a Penguin 350 HOB. Although it filtered better, it still wasn't what I was looking for. Even with the filter in the middle, there was no water circulation towards each end of the tank. I replaced it with a canister filter and the water is now crystal clear. Even though you're looking at a different brand, I'd assume that most of the 55 gallon starter kits are pretty comparable.

IMO, the kits end up costing you more in the long run... the filters are not adequate for the tank, and the heaters are junk. your best bet is to either find a nice used tank on craigslist or just buy the tank and get a good heater and filter separately

I purchased an Aqueon 55 gal kit and am still using it. To comment on some things that have been posted: the filter that comes with it is inadequate, so I purchased a canister filter and run the Aqueon filter along with it. However, the filter makes A LOT of noise and I am considering getting rid of it and getting a different HOB as my second filter. Considering the inadequacy of the filter, I wouldn't recommend getting this kit. I wish I hadn't and bought the components I would have wanted.

I haven't had any issues with the heater, but I live in Florida so it doesn't get freezing cold. We have had a cold winter though. Actually, the heater works really well so I can't say I agree with the post that the heaters are junk.

The tank itself is fine, but you end up having to get at least one, if not two more, filters, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll either go with a new tank, hood, and filter or see if I can find a used one. I check on a used tank and light recently that was offered for $50, but the tank had been unused for at least 10 years, and the seller didn't know if it held water or not.

I did some research online and found instructions for resealing tanks, but I'm not sure I would trust my handiwork with a potential leak of 55 gallons of water. That's why I started thinking about going with something new.

Welcome to AA!

As Jestes suggested, maybe you can bargain for a few upgrades. Otherwise, I'd keep an eye out for a slightly used tank on Craigslist.

Well when you factor in that a new 55 tank will run around $100, and the two 24" hoods and lights can be around $50 plus it isn't a terrible deal. Granted the filters suck and need to be upgraded, but I would probably end up doing that if I bought another set up anyway. If I wanted to buy new I may go this way, but I've seen pretty nice set ups in my area on Craigslist that are going for less than 200 with good set ups and nice stands. It just depends on how much emphasis you place on new, unused equipment and what is available in your area.

There seems to be IMO a lot of tanks for sale on Craigs List. Unless you have a specific need I would go with a used tank and buy a good filter, heater and light.

I haven't had any issues with the heater, but I live in Florida so it doesn't get freezing cold. We have had a cold winter though.

LOL this made me think of the day we moved into our new old house, which was heated only with wood at the time. I brought my fish in and set them up on the floor (no shelves or furnature yet) and the power went off in the middle of the night and when I woke up, the tank was frozen - with like a half inch of ice on top. Bye bye guppies. Even now it's usually about 65 degrees at the most in this room, even with the heat on. So if the power goes out for any length of time I'm hooped. We upgraded from a wood stove to a pellet stove... which runs on electricity. So now we're really hooped.

Just wanted to follow-up and thank everyone for their advice. I purchased a used 55 gallon tank that looks to be in very good condition, the silcone is flexible and not discolored. It also came with a solid oak stand. I purchased both items for $!50 total. It's got water in it now, and so far no leaks.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Back
Top Bottom