Is this a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've had my 180 gallon setup for a while now with my big carnivorous fish in it and I'm loving it. The only thing is I really can't do anything real reef like because of my Ray. Anyway I wouldn't want to in this tank as that is a FOWLR aquarium.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled lately for one of those nanocube systems to do something reefy, nothing to complex maybe an anemone, some peppermint shrimp maybe a clam or something with some LR but I find those darn nano systems to be so much money.

Is this a good deal here? Nano Cube Reef Aquarium Kits: JBJ Lighting Nano Cube 28-gallon CF-QUAD

You get the stand and all for $299 it looks like. They don't even go that cheap on Ebay or anywhere I've seen on the internet or in a fish store. If majority says it's a deal I may just pick this baby up and get me a nice little reefy system going.

I'll tell ya what I'd really like to do is some sea horses maybe! :)

I think you'll end up tossing the light and filter system on this. I think your best bet is NOT to buy a "package" nano tank. Buy the tank and stand only and add what eqipment you like afterward. For instance, you'll find T5 lighting to be better than power compact and I think you'll want to add your own filter system with perhaps a small sump and refugium. Just my opinion.

I think you'll end up tossing the light and filter system on this. I think your best bet is NOT to buy a "package" nano tank. Buy the tank and stand only and add what eqipment you like afterward. For instance, you'll find T5 lighting to be better than power compact and I think you'll want to add your own filter system with perhaps a small sump and refugium. Just my opinion.

Makes sense I guess... I was reading some reviews of these tanks and I see you can actually make a refugium out of them and throw some macro algae in it? I don't know I guess it's one of those novelty things. Lol I've always wanted to own one of these nano systems so I guess I'll have to make up my mind on my own. The LFS I go to has a really really nice one setup.

y not get a 29 gallon or a 20 tall, DIY stand, buy light, etc.
you will probly save more.

I don't see how this is a bad deal though. Usually these Nano systems are wayyy more then $299. Let alone without the stand which goes for usually $149 in my experience of shopping. I've always found these Nano's to be very cool when I go into the LFS and see them. Not to mention those two wave making power heads included. I would just do some macro algae in the filter in back.

I already have my 180 gallon so for a little reefy type aquarium, I think 28 gallon would be perfect for me. Looks like all I'd need to add is some sand and some rock to get going! I've seen some pretty awesome reef aquariums made out of this exact setup on youtube. I'm probably going to go ahead and purchase this however it won't be setup probably for some time as I need to get my 180 gallon ick ridden and healthy before I concentrate on another aquarium.

Thanks,

Steve

yes thats a great deal! the filters on these all in ones are the best, but for the tank they do a great job. of course if you kept an anemone or a clam youd need to upgrade the lights, but if you dont you can keep plenty of softies and you'll still have a great little reef on its own system.

but yes the biocube 29 usually sells around $300 and the stand is like $100 so for a jbj nanocube thats a great deal! buy now before you regret it!

Sounds to me as if you had your mind already made up before the post and just wanted confirmation of your purchase so have fun!

Sounds to me as if you had your mind already made up before the post and just wanted confirmation of your purchase so have fun!

Lol I guess I did have my mind made up already, I do appreciate the advice and opinion though. It's a down the road project really anyway, I just personally haven't seen Nano's this cheap and I'd almost like to pick it up now for down the road.

Thanks,

Steve

Do it then man! You might kick yourself is down the road the price goes up!

Back
Top Bottom