is this a good deal for this canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had any experience with one but the specs seem comparable to a Fluval 405. I would give it a shot for the money but I wouldnt use it on tank over 75g. With a flow rate of around 320gph it wouldn't work for a 170g as claimed but should do fine on a smaller tank. Go for it and let us know how it works out!

i have a 150 gallon tall tank so i guess this sale sucks thanks for the advice

do u have any links to a good site that hae ones for my tank cheap?

A fluval FX5 would be a good canister filter for that size tank, though personally I'd use 2 aquaclear 110 hob filters.

toddnbecka said:
A fluval FX5 would be a good canister filter for that size tank, though personally I'd use 2 aquaclear 110 hob filters.

Agree with the FX5, but I would suggest you to go with two canisters, maybe not 2 FX5, something smaller, like two RENA XP3 or XP4.... Having two will always be better in case of a maintenance issue or malfunction.

2 aquaclear 110 hob filters.

do you have any links where i can get those 110 hob filters??

or do anyone have any links to get like two RENA XP3 or XP4 for cheap??

and the 405 would work good for my 150 tall tank??

i think its just a little short on measurements for a 150 gallon tank i think a 150 gallon tanks need a GPH of 530?? im i correct??

so if the 405 is not producing the right GPH of 530 can i have the 405 plus a hang on filter to make up what is missing??

or should (2) 110 HOB filters would do better than the 405 and 1 HOB filter??

I had the same decision to make on my fw 125g. I ended up going with a single filter, the FX5. Not sure what I will do if theres a filter issue but it makes my setup a bit leaner with just the one.

i understand the canister filter is easier to work with since its not viz-able and will be kept under the tank in my wooden stand but i want the cheapest and easyest way to maintain my 150 gallon tank without problems or getting all that green water because i know canister filter some come with the uv light built in it, but i also know they sell just the uv light with the part nee it to work in your tank im trying to find the best solution and the cheapest :) way to go about it...

currently i have only 1 hob filter that is from my 55 gallon because i had 2 hob filter i just took 1 away and now its being used in my 150, its been like that for about 1 to 2 weeks plus a power-head that is for my 150 tank so would just buying another hob filter be more suitable than a new canister??

If you're tight on cash and need an immediate solution I would go with an aquaclear 110. Biggest and best hang on filter you can buy in my opinion. I'd keep running what you are as well. That, and proper maintenance should keep you from any green water. :)

Alot will depend on the bioload of the fish you keep. i have cichlids which are messy and big poopers. lol So I went with overfiltration to cover my self.

yea i have cichlids as-well and alot of aggressive ones to but they get along so far.. i guess i will just do another hob filter and see how that works...
no do they sell like extension where you can add pieces to make the in-sucking of the filter lower than it is??
if im trying to get all the poop and stuff the hight of the sucking is like lid taank or higher so making it lower would help filtration and cleaning of the tank correct?

or its fine with the length they come in already?

Your tank is a deep tank isn't it? If so I would suggest picking up an extension tube, they sell them on ebay for a few $$.

if it's not an xh or deep you can get away with what they supply.

yea i have the 150 tall tank so its deep and wide but just about the same length as my 55 gallon lol...

thank you very much, im looking into a cascade 1500 is that any good?

Sorry, I haven't had any experience with those. I'm strictly a fluval or aquaclear gal. :-D

If you check on amazon.com for it you can read some reviews for it.

Back
Top Bottom