Is this heater bad??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
I brought one of those Hagen Tronic 200 W heaters for my 55 gallon tank, andit's coming on and keeping the tank at a steady 80, but I've seen some condensation on the inside of the glass. 8O What does it mean? Is it cracked somewhere? (I haven't seen any). Should I scrap it all together and get a new heater.....again? HELP!

On the inside of the heater's glass? If thats the case I would take it back, it must be cracked. Glass heaters are vacum sealed so there is no moisture or air to condense and evaporate inside the unit unless it is defective.

Rats!!! Yes, it's on the inside. Can't take it back....bought on EBAY. Lesson learned. It was new in the package though. :(

Get a Visi-therm Stealth heater...I love them. I have a 250w on my 55g. I will be getting another for my new 55g. They blend in with the background (if its black) and are pretty easy to hide. They are also metal and not glass. Great heaters!

I have a Hydor in my 10g. I've never noticed any condensation on the inside though.

I hope you didn't pay too much for them.

Leave some nasty feedback, probably the best you can do. I hate ebay in general.

JustOneMore20 said:
Get a Visi-therm Stealth heater...I love them. I have a 250w on my 55g. I will be getting another for my new 55g. They blend in with the background (if its black) and are pretty easy to hide. They are also metal and not glass. Great heaters!
I'll second that. I love my Stealth heater. :)

Could this problem be killing my fish? I lost an angelfish yesterday and I lost my male ram today and now I have another angelfish that's looking bad. I changed out the heater at luch and I didn't see any cracks on the Hagen, but if there is one that I can't see would this be enough to kill fish. I'm having a major tank disaster and I can't figure it out. No ammonia, no nitrites, les than 5 ppm nitrates, and yes, the tank is cycled.

I've never heard of a bad heater killing fish, unless it cooks them or you have no heat and the temp drops too cold. Look over the fish to see if you see anything out of the ordinary. If possibly internal parasites, you could suppliment anti-parasitic food as a precausion.

Back
Top Bottom