Is this light set up ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EricL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon corner tank and for lighting I plan on getting a 24 inch 150 HQI Metal Halide, 24 Watt T5 HO, 15k Metal Halide bulb, 24 watt Super Actinic T5 HO bulbs. Unit cooled by Ice cool fans. Unit comes with 2 switches so you can independently control the metal halide and T5 bulb separately for the dawn and dusk effect. Do you think this will be ok for a little while while i get used to and more familiar with reef tanks?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 57
do you think I will need more live rock or any other rock?

Judging by your picture my guess would be no. How much LR do you have? The rule of thumb is about 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon.

I just had to edit, I realized I typed yes but meant no. Juding by your picture you dont have the 1-1.5 lbs per gallon

Last edited:
I would say you need more LR or base rock. Probably need to at least double what you have. Is that rock in the tank LR or bR?

That appears to be all base rock. You want 1½ - 2 pounds of rock per gallon of tank capacity IF you are depending on the rock to be your biological filter. I would agree with melosu58 that you need to double your rock. Do you have a skimmer? A sump?

Back
Top Bottom