Is this too muc weight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 30g SW reef tank i am setting up and was wondering if i could put my semi new cpr HOB refuge on my new tank. the spec of the HOB refuge is 25.5"Lx4.5"W x14"H. with the water in the refuge it weights 51pounds not counting Live rock and Sand. my tanks specs are 20Lx20"W 18"H . i know the refuge sticks out a little from the tank but all the supports are on the tank and its not moving. i dont think i will have a problem of it not staying there. i am just wondering if the weight of one of these refuges will over time brake the back of the tank.
or should i put a sump under the tank and pump it up with a pump?
thanks again

Your tank should be able to handle the load but personally I'd try to prop it up below with a 2X4 or wall bracket just to be on the safe side.

If you did install it with a sump below the tank you would just have it take water from the sump and put back into the sump letting the sump pump put the water back into the tank.

ok thats what i was thinking about was puting a sump in the bottom mabey 5 or 10 gallon. the HOB holds 5.9gallons but i want to have as much water as possible. my next question is..
i want to have copods in my sump and have the pump carry them to the main tank for feeding. would they get crushed when they went through the pump? and would it be a good idea?
thanks again

Tons and tons of pods will travel through the pump with no problem. I have a 20g fuge on my reef tank and it is just teeming with life. I don't take the pods or mysis out of the fuge and put them in the tank they just make it there. In fact all the different parts of my tank, display, overflow, skimmer tank, fuge and return tank have pods and mysis in them. They have traveld through the various pumps and plumbing to get to those areas.

If trying to aquaculture pods then I'd leave it as a HOB fuge which will give you a greater chance for their survival then trying to make it though a pump. Some do make it through sump pumps though depending on the size/type of pump.

Back
Top Bottom