Issue with Fluval 404

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
i took apart my 404 yesterday to clean it out.. upon putting it back together like i've always done, and hooking it all up, i turn it on and the motor starts clicking... it didnt stop clicking... i've tried multiple things, nothing has helped...

if i hook the hoses back up, even though they are both filled 100%, it clicks and doesn't flow water properly. if i lower the output nozzle/hose to have it dump out to a bucket lower than the line of the tank, but still higher than filter, it flows well, but still clicks..

here is the super strange part... when i disconnect the hoses, if i plug in the filter with the hose opening just sitting there, it primes and pumps quietly...

check to make sure the impeller is a) seated properly b) no worn c) not broken

impeller seated properly, not worn, not broken...

why would it work in the sink with no hoses connected to it, but not in the tank?

if the impeller was not fucntioning at 100% then that would lessen the ability to create the throughput. As would a leak in any of the hoses/seals, a blockage anywhere etc

It does sound like the impeller. Are you sure it is not bent? Can you see any wear on it?

i will remove it and take pics later... it looks fine to me, but i may have no idea what to really be looking for..

When I have issues like that, I soak the impeller in white vinegar for about 1/2 hour and then use a new toothbrush to clean.

Back
Top Bottom