It May Be Replacement Time for my Aqueons...What's a Highly Regarded HOB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you got the money I would return both filter and get the aquaclear110. A ac110 should do the job.

If it was me ill return the 20 n get another 55 and do a big water change about 50%.

But do what work for u if u feel like these aqueon ain't making you happy. Replace it.

N oh yeah don't 4 get to remove ur carbon or it will remove all ur med in ur tank.

If you got the money I would return both filter and get the aquaclear110. A ac110 should do the job.

But I already have bacteria growing on my Aqueon biogrid; should I rip both filters out now at this point and start over? The fish are still alive...

If it was me ill return the 20 n get another 55 and do a big water change about 50%.

You mean INSTEAD of getting an AquaClear? You said above to return the Aqueons...

And should I do a 50% water change even though I'm medicating for Ich?

But do what work for u if u feel like these aqueon ain't making you happy. Replace it.

I'm just not sure if I should interrupt the cycle at this point...

N oh yeah don't 4 get to remove ur carbon or it will remove all ur med in ur tank.

Well, too late for that......:( :(

i think its best if you give those filter a bit more time, since bacteria already growing on them and even if u return it i dont think u can return the media since its used.

for ppl like me with not much i would stay with the Aqueon filter rather than get Aquaclear filter, the Aquaclear r a bit pricey over the Aqueon.

so if you got the money, get a Aquaclear i will recommend it to anyone who have a bit more to spend.

but like i say if it was me ill return the Aqueon 20 and get a 55. cause im not a rich person like most ppl r or just dont have that kinda money to spend. so ill stick with a good filter at a lower price.

if not you can keep the Aqueon 20 and add it to ur other tank with the tetra whisper filter, those filter are junk.

water change can be done at anytime, just dose the new water with the med follow the print dont overdose.

i think its best if you give those filter a bit more time, since bacteria already growing on them and even if u return it i dont think u can return the media since its used.

for ppl like me with not much i would stay with the Aqueon filter rather than get Aquaclear filter, the Aquaclear r a bit pricey over the Aqueon.

so if you got the money, get a Aquaclear i will recommend it to anyone who have a bit more to spend.

but like i say if it was me ill return the Aqueon 20 and get a 55. cause im not a rich person like most ppl r or just dont have that kinda money to spend. so ill stick with a good filter at a lower price.

if not you can keep the Aqueon 20 and add it to ur other tank with the tetra whisper filter, those filter are junk.

water change can be done at anytime, just dose the new water with the med follow the print dont overdose.

But I don't have another tank to move the Aqueon 20 to...I just have one goldfish tank...

Are the Tetra Whispers really junk? I used them years ago in a tank and thought they were alright...

As for the water change, how do I go about medicating the new water -- put it in the tank and then add the medicine, or put the medicine in the tub that holds the fresh tap water?

But I don't have another tank to move the Aqueon 20 to...I just have one goldfish tank...

Are the Tetra Whispers really junk? I used them years ago in a tank and thought they were alright...

As for the water change, how do I go about medicating the new water -- put it in the tank and then add the medicine, or put the medicine in the tub that holds the fresh tap water?

most ppl who use Tetra Whispers end up replacing them, those filter just cant keep up with clearing your water.

when i do water change i use bucket to water change, more work but i like it better cause i can dose the new water easy.

for example: i use a 5 gallon bucket to water change, ill remove 10gallon of water from my 20gallon, when adding the new water you will need to replace the 10 gallon of water you remove. So get 2 5gallon bucket or use 1, fill it up and dose.

another example: i use prime and prime recommend 2 drop per gallon so for a 10gallon of water it will be 20drop per 10gallon.

after you done dosing the new water, pure it into the tank.

by any chance r u using Mardel Freshwater CopperSafe?

I'd get an emporer because you have goldfish, and they produce a large biological load, aquaclears are more for mechanical an chemical filtration, but you really could get the same results from the marineland, you really don't need all that space, emporer should be more than enough.
Thanks for the continuing assistance, guys...

I didn't mean for this topic to begin a debacle of which filters are more superior than others, but that's what inevitably ends up happening on some forums...

Perhaps we should get back to the core of what I intended with the launch of the thread -- I would be looking for new filtration (preferably HOB format) to replace my Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and 20 which I'm running now on my 60-gallon freshwater fancytail goldfish tank, as the Aqueons have not given me clear water since the day I started them up...

Another issue that's becoming an infuential factor right now is the possibility of losing my three Orandas, and the tank crashing as one of them has gotten was appears to be Ich -- and which I am treating with medicine -- and the others are routinely acting not like themselves because my [moderator edit] water is just so polluted...so there is a possibility that I lose this entire bio setup, and would need to start over. That said, I would still like to know what the best option would be for the simplest approach to filtration for a 60-gallon goldfish tank as I don't think I will keep my Aqeons if I need to restart this tank. I don't think these filters are doing anything, quite frankly; the last poster mentioned taking only three or so days for his tank to get crystal clear -- I'm running Aqueons now for over a month and there hasn't been any clear water.

So, are AquaClears definitely recommended? And what about the Marinelands? What's the concensus on them? Should either of these offer better filtration sequencing than the Aqueons?

I'd get an emporer because you have goldfish, and they produce a large biological load, aquaclears are more for mechanical an chemical filtration, but you really could get the same results from the marineland, you really don't need all that space, emporer should be more than enough.

But are we talking about the same brands here? Are the EMPERORS actually part of the Marineland line?

What do I do with my Aqueons in the meantime?

Yes, Emperors are made by Marineland.

No, the wheel-less knock offs at Wal-Mare are not made by Marineland.

That was brought up earlier.

It helps to see these filters running in person. A filter is nothing more than flow rate and media capacity. High flow filters create flow in the tank and clean a lot of water in a given period of time. But without media the best flow won't actually clean a thing. Massive amounts of filter media are what clean. A thin slide in cartridge like you will get with almost any filter out there are just that, a 1/2" of filter material. Sprinkle some carbon in the middle of the cartridge and you have a filter cartridge that matches almost every one on the market. If you are lucky you will get a second cartridge for nitrifying bacteria. Then you have the AquaClears with a massive foam block, followed by a big bag of carbon (or peat granules, crushed coral, whatever you want). To top it all off you get another big bag filled with biomedia. If you don't use carbon you can double up on biomedia. In my opinion there really is no comparison. If you only had one available to you or one was much more expensive than the other then I could see debating whether or not it is worth the extra hassle for the other. But I have used Emperors (even brought the entire line in to one shop I was running) and have used AquaClears. The extra media with the AC really is worth it, and if you are concerned about the superior biowheel (and it is by far superior when it comes to biological filtration) then simply add a DIY one on to an AC.

That was brought up earlier.

It helps to see these filters running in person. A filter is nothing more than flow rate and media capacity. High flow filters create flow in the tank and clean a lot of water in a given period of time. But without media the best flow won't actually clean a thing. Massive amounts of filter media are what clean. A thin slide in cartridge like you will get with almost any filter out there are just that, a 1/2" of filter material. Sprinkle some carbon in the middle of the cartridge and you have a filter cartridge that matches almost every one on the market. If you are lucky you will get a second cartridge for nitrifying bacteria. Then you have the AquaClears with a massive foam block, followed by a big bag of carbon (or peat granules, crushed coral, whatever you want). To top it all off you get another big bag filled with biomedia. If you don't use carbon you can double up on biomedia. In my opinion there really is no comparison. If you only had one available to you or one was much more expensive than the other then I could see debating whether or not it is worth the extra hassle for the other. But I have used Emperors (even brought the entire line in to one shop I was running) and have used AquaClears. The extra media with the AC really is worth it, and if you are concerned about the superior biowheel (and it is by far superior when it comes to biological filtration) then simply add a DIY one on to an AC.

Thanks; while I don't understand all of what you state here in the technical sense, I see that you suggested the AquaClear 110 in an earlier post. Do you still recommend one of these for my 60-gallon goldfish tank?

What about the fact that I am in the midst of dealing with an Ich problem now -- should I even be concerned with changing filters right now?

Add a new filter, but they need to run simultaneously for a few weeks anyways to ensure you don't remove most of you nitrifying bacteria.

Any time fish get sick two things have happened. The first is that a pathogen was present, in this case ich. Second is that the fish were stressed by something. You need to figure out what this stressor is before you can simply move on. I usually just use quick cure (malachite green and formalin). It is a medication (not as natural as salt and increased temp) but in my experience is safe and very effective.

Add a new filter, but they need to run simultaneously for a few weeks anyways to ensure you don't remove most of you nitrifying bacteria.

I already have two filters on the tank -- an Aqueon 55 and a smaller 20. Are you saying add yet ANOTHER AquaClear?

Any time fish get sick two things have happened. The first is that a pathogen was present, in this case ich. Second is that the fish were stressed by something. You need to figure out what this stressor is before you can simply move on. I usually just use quick cure (malachite green and formalin). It is a medication (not as natural as salt and increased temp) but in my experience is safe and very effective.

I'm using a liquid medicator, but I don't know if I am using it right or if it's working...

If you aren't seeing improvement with the med you are using consider a different brand.

Take off the Aqueon 20 and add an AC110. You can take the media out of the filters you have and put them in the new filters and guarantee no problems with losing bacteria.

If you aren't seeing improvement with the med you are using consider a different brand.

Take off the Aqueon 20 and add an AC110. You can take the media out of the filters you have and put them in the new filters and guarantee no problems with losing bacteria.

I will consider this, thank you.

It would be okay to run the AC110 with the Aqueon 55? And I can just transfer the media from the 20 over to the 110 the way it is?

Yes and yes. The only way you will have too much filtration is if they simply create too much flow. Other than that you can't have too much.

Hey Black Magic ive been using Tetras for years and i had no problem.... I still got a tetra 20 on my 10gal and a tetra ex30 (borrowed from a friend) which is seeding my AC50..... I picked the AC50 because of the fact u can turn down the water flow and ease of media.... Its giving my 10x turnover on my 20g also... Idk jack squat about Marine-land thoe

Yes and yes. The only way you will have too much filtration is if they simply create too much flow. Other than that you can't have too much.

Would it not be better to just get a second Aqueon 55 to match the other one? I know I feel these suck, but...

It would not be better to get a worse filter. Trust me, get the AC110. That is what I would spend my money on.

Back
Top Bottom