JBJ Auto-Topoff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
So.. i hear good things about this top-off system.. and it's actually pretty fairly priced on aquacave.com

So my question is.. does it come with everything needed to just hook it up and it works right there? Or do i need to buy other things to get it to work, like a float switch, or an aqualifter pump or something. I'm not sure.. i just don't want to get stuck with a piece of equipment that will only work if you purchase other equipment.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Kev, it comes with all you need to hook it up.. The thing I don't like about this unit is the alarm. Everytime it refills it sounds an alarm and it can be quite anoying. You can disconnect that but it voids the warranty.

Nice. Thanks for the info TC.

Are there any other units around the JBJ's price range that you've tried? Or heard about that are good? I've heard good things about autotopoff.com.. but i think they just sell the floats.. i think. Not sure.

autotopoff.com get the double switch controller.... 100% satisfied with mine. They sell the entire system, everything you need.

So then.. if i purchased the double switch controller and then the FT-70 pump(on autotopoff.com), i should be good to go? My sump sits on the bottom of the stand so the highest the water has to travel is over the lip of the RO water bucket which is about 1ft..

That should work. That pump is overkill, but it'll do the job and it's cheap enough, just make sure to use the lowest flow setting.

I use a Tom's Aqualifter. 3gph peristaltic, but it's a few bucks more.

Alright.. then ill use it on it's lowest setting because you really can't beat the price for the pump lol. Plus, i don't want to have to pay for shipping on some other site. All the pumps at petsmart are either expensive.. or total garbage. nothing in between lol.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

autotopoff.com
get the double switch controller.... 100% satisfied with mine. They sell the entire system, everything you need.
Autotopoff is the system I have and I am quite satified with it . The also give good service if you have any questions.

Then it's definitely settled. Buying from Autotopoff.com when i've got the funds.

Just remember that the tubing into the sump must be higher than the water level in the top off container. If it's not you'll start a siphon from the top off container to the sump. I pump mine up to the tank overflow to avoid this problem.

BTW, I use the JBJ. Just had to switch to the 2nd float switch as the first one no longer works after 4 years.

One last thing. Cover the bottom with a piece of screening material. Snails have a habit of crawling up and makig the float stick (either open or closed).

Just leave the tubing out of the water, mine is clipped to the sump rim. Powerhead is in a 8G trash can right next to the sump. No siphon, no worries.

You're making the right choice w/ ATO.com

Thanks for more info guys.

Captain, i had plans to do something similar to what you did. I was going to clip the tubing on to the shelf above the sump, which is higher than my 5G HD bucket, so no siphons would start. So thanks for that.

Maxi Jet 1200 worked for me too. Keep the down tube into the sump or fuge loose so it doesn't create a vacuum/suction and empty your sump.

"you can do a ato into the main display to right?" Yes, but if you have a sump..well that is the place to hide it with your other equipment.

Tubing out of water did not help when I was going to my sump from my 45g BRUTE top off container. Once the water started flowing there was no way to stop it till the end of the tube was above the water level in the 45. Might be due to the pressure of that much water, but the MJ1200 intake in the bottom of the top off container was 6" lower than the tube in the sump.
But, the tube ran from the bottom of the container through the cover of the container and then down to the sump.

i fastened the tubing to the underside of the stand, and the highest point was higher than the full top off container, which in my case was a cut down 55 gallon drum.

Back
Top Bottom