Just a why not question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
while turning my freshwater tank over to saltwater there were some very large amounts of money going out to purchase the pump for the diy sump/trickle/refuge made out of a 20 gal long, after I bought the new trickle only filter,another pump for the wave making device on the must have closed system for 10x's movement, a new superskimmer that hasnt work since day one so I had to buy another smaller one that has worked fantastically... My question is why couldnt you buy lets say two emporer 400 bio wheel filters with spray bars?($40 each online) that would in effect give you 800 gph( 400 gph certified each)
for water movement,On a 75 gal tank that would be ideal, biowheel system with easy to change filters? a skimmer thats the right size for your tank, and spend all that saved money on livestock?

sorry, I just purchased my first acropora coral at lfs prices and needed to vent... :?

why not? hmm... closed system = stuff doesn't get sucked up into powerheads/filter intakes (i.e. wandering anenomes, small fish, etc. <-- personal experience). Plus no sump = more difficult to do water changes, etc.

Some say biowheels are nitrate factories... dunno how I feel about this, but I kind of think they're nitrate factories simply because they work so well... you can't convert ammonia and nitrites to nitrates unless there's ammonia and nitrites to begin with right?

So I say, why not? My sister has an AC500? (the big one) on a 30gal and no sump (also no bio wheel), insane current, fish love it, no dead spots, great success.

-dave-

I just purchased my first acropora coral
I hope you have a lot of light and flow. If it makes you feel better I bought 6 today. If this is your first one I wish you luck. They are difficult corals. The farm raised ones are much hardier. That is what I started with. If you have problems with it you may want to try a farm raised one next.

Brenden said:
I just purchased my first acropora coral
I hope you have a lot of light and flow. If it makes you feel better I bought 6 today. If this is your first one I wish you luck. They are difficult corals. The farm raised ones are much hardier. That is what I started with. If you have problems with it you may want to try a farm raised one next.

I dont feel any better, But the lfs told me this was a frag he purchased off of a local guy who grows them in his basement... so I guess it could be farm raised... Flow, I have a mag 950 shooting water in from the sump,I have a mag 1200 on the closed scwd, and I have pc lighting and the coral is about 15 inches down from the light...there is so much movement Nemo thinks he's in the EAC... sorry just finished watching Nemo for the 100 th time...

How long has your tank been up? How many watts of light do you have? You have a 75 gal right?

Brenden said:
How long has your tank been up? How many watts of light do you have? You have a 75 gal right?

Yes its 75 gal, Its been up since September 1st and the pc's are 265 watt. I hope it does as well as everything else in there.

ChazYork said:
hey reefbound - where'd you find that bio wheel filter?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3619&N=2004+22769

Its actually under 40 bux... Go Colts... Hope you didnt just jump on the band wagon... :lol:

Go Colts with a raiders helmet? Are you sure you are not just jumping off a band wagon? GO Horns!!!

I would be careful with the acropora and that low amount of lighting. The ideal conditions for the Acropora coral is an established reef aquarium with bright lighting provided by intense metal halides. They can also thrive under multiple T-5 or compact fluorescents if placed high in the aquarium. I think 15 inches is to low for only having 3-4 watts per gallon.

MadManMac said:
Go Colts with a raiders helmet? Are you sure you are not just jumping off a band wagon? GO Horns!!!

No,no wagon here, Im a die hard raiders fan... I saw his colts avatar and just made a comment, colts have a great record this year...

Back
Top Bottom