Just put together my first filter canister; is it right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manoosie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I got a cascade 1000 and put it together tonight. I dont have it up and running yet (hopefully tomorrow), but I put the baskets inside. It only came with three sponge things, one thick black one and a carbon bag. Someone suggested getting bio filter, so I got some of that and it didnt come in a bag like the carbon. On the bottom basket, I put a sponge, the black sponge and as much bio-filter I could fit in there(no bag). The second basket I put the carbon with a sponge, and the third just had a sponge. Did I do this right, or is there something else? What other media should I get in there? Thanks for your help, I will provide pics tomorrow!

I put the biofilter material after the sponges. That way the biofilter does not get clogged up wth detritus from the tank. That's just my preference, though.

It has three baskets xzap. In the 150 gal tank I have the following:

First Basket: Black sponge, filter floss (the white stuff)
Second Basket: Ceramic Rings (no bag)
Third Basket: Crushed coral (in a bag) and more filter floss

The 55 gal I have:

First Basket: Black Sponge, Filter floss
Second Basket: Ceramic Rings
Third Basket: Filter Floss

The water is crystal clear in both tanks. Did you find that the setup was VERY simple with this canister? It took me less than 10 minutes to wash and put it together. It is VERY user friendly. :D

I agree with FF, mechanical filtration (sponges and floss) first, bilogic substrate last. Just curious FF, why to you have the floss last in your 55 gal tank? Why not more bio-media, or just more floss in the second basket? I would figure that your last basket of floss is the "polishing" basket, but wouldn't it work just as well in basket two, and also help keep your biomedia cleaner? Not that there is anything wrong with it, just curious.

Fluvals have four baskets and a prefilter sponge. After the prefilter sponge i have ceramic noodle coarse mechanical, then floss for fine mechanical, then two baskets of bio-media.

Honestly Tom, when I was setting it up I had the top basket with peat and cc. Then when I removed them, I just put in more filter floss. I think that it gives it a last polishing before the water goes back into the tank. I can't believe how clear the water is. It's like there isn't any in there, just fish suspending in air. :D

Back
Top Bottom