Just starting, good lighting on the cheap Metal Halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came across a brand new Hydrel metal halide ballast from a friend for free to see if I can utilize it to save even more money on my DIY lighting setup, I will be going to pick the ballast up tomorrow however im not sure if it will be compatable. I have all the specs though, if anyone can help me out that would be awsome!

Hydrel 277V 175W M57 Metal Halide Ballast
Model # HSL-5530

Watts: 175
Volts: 277
Lamp type: M57

If there is anyway for me to use this lighting ill have a very nice 4.7 watts per gallon to start my first reef/fish project while spending under 100 bucks! Thanks again!

Standard 175w metal halide ballast.....should work fine but it will get hot so be careful with the placement of it (doesn't seem to have much cord length) and you still need the bulb, socket, and reflector.

got all that already :D yea they look pretty short, im gonna get a cheap extension cable and build a custom fan cooler. Thanks man!

(just realised this is in the wrong forum)

No problem, you should be good to go (if you are comfortable with the wiring).

One question, is the ballast shaped like a fish when it is turned around?

Nope, but that would be funny.

One more quick note, its 277 volts which means it has a different plug on the end right? can i convert 277 to 120? becuase i think im screwed.

Back
Top Bottom