kinda new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poptarts1112

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not exacly new but close. Im taking on a big project so I need some help. I have a 240gallon reef ready tank and a 125gallon to use for sump the rest I havent purchased. My question is will this work. And if it will does the pumps being above the sump water level with 1.5" pipe @ 3.5' horizontal and 1.75' vertical before pump cause more head pressure. if there are any other problems with pic please feel free to let me know.

side notes my tank has 2 holes @ 2" for drain, and 2 holes for 1.5" for return. these are the sizes after bulk heads.

thanks in advance.:confused:

Attachments

• tank2.bmp
    690 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
There are pumps that can handle being set up like that. They are expensive and usually pretty powerful.

Why do you need to have the pumps above the sump like that?

I had planed on using 2 danner pro 2100's. the reason i had wanted them so high is because my sump is glass, also because i had planned for the return to be in the center of sump, and hopefully for less head pressure.

Those pumps can be used inline or submerged. Why not just submerge them and avoid the possible issue of suction?

because of space in my sump also the extra head pressure that will create. If its going to be a problem i have no problem changing my design as all i have puchased as of now is the two tanks.

I looked at your drawing again and the one major issue I see is the pump you have on the left side of the tank is pumping up and then all the way down to the bottom of the tank. What happens when the power goes out? That pump is going to back siphon all the water out of your tank a flood your house. That is not a good idea. If you are looking for flow on the bottom of the tank it should be done with a closed loop and not with your return lines.

thank you for spending so much time helping me! both return lines would have a one way check valve to prevent overflow. I would love to have a closed loop system but when i ordered my tank i didnt do much home work so i only got the overflows drilled.

Back
Top Bottom