Koralia Guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Afternoon all,

Just a quick question for you SW heads out there that use Koralia's. Do you all put the protection guards on the front of them? Just curious on what I should do, as I've heard it SEVERELY inpacts the flow radius. Thanks!

Why would you need to do that? Its not a pump and its not sucking up any water, so if anything it would push the fish/invert away from it, not suck it up into the propeller. I dont see why you would need to use a protection guard

Maybe if the koralia is too powerful for your tank and you want to dampen its strength a little.. then i would put the protection guard on it.

We don't. Have 2 K2s on our 50 and haven't had any issues with snails or other critters getting into them. We had 2 K1s on our 20 without the guard before we changed tanks as well.

Do you all put the protection guards on the front of them? Just curious on what I should do, as I've heard it SEVERELY inpacts the flow radius. Thanks!

You bring up a good point. I attached the guard to my Koralia 3 simply because it was a 'part' in the box. However, if by removing it I can get a wider flow radius then I am gonna remove it (hadn't thought about this).

My pair of clowns swim near the powerhead but I'm fairly certain they couldn't swim into it as the flow is just to strong.

You bring up a good point. I attached the guard to my Koralia 3 simply because it was a 'part' in the box. However, if by removing it I can get a wider flow radius then I am gonna remove it (hadn't thought about this).

My pair of clowns swim near the powerhead but I'm fairly certain they couldn't swim into it as the flow is just to strong.

Exactly. I thought at first it was something you needed to do since it was in the box... then I come to find out (by reading other forums and such) that its something that actually makes the water column more narrow. I'm going to take the guard off and see how it goes.

I've had my K-2 running for ~1yr without the guard on my Wavemaster pro with no issues.

LOL! I had to go out in the garage and see if mine came with the guard. I see they do, I didn't even know they had them!

I just wondered what the general consensus was, beause without the guard the slots seem pretty big in front...

They are really only useful when the powerheads are on a timer. Blennies might swim inside on the off times.

Folks put their phs on timers to simulate differing tides/wave motions...

Bbecher, you are talking about the guard and not the directional flow piece. I do have the guards on mine.

Back
Top Bottom