Larger Heater for Open Top Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of slowly setting up my 112G tank which will have a clear netting top. I'll be using Eheim heaters and based on their recommendations I should be aiming for 250W. This seems to agree with online heater calculators, however, these calculators assume there is a glass top on the tank (at least all the ones I've found). Obviously with an open top tank there will be more evaporation which means there will be more heat loss. But I'm not sure how much more.

Looking for input and suggestions, especially if anyone ever went from a covered tank to an open top tank (did you have to buy a larger heater).

Thanks,
Harry

it all depends on your climate I live in Colorado and and it gets cold in the winter , I use a 300w in my 90g and never had a problem with it , now in the summer I make sure to lower the temp on heater to 72* to be sure it don't kick on for any stupid reason in the summer months , I use cooling fans in the summer because tanks get hot because of the temp warm temp lingering in the house ,

Back
Top Bottom