Leak in my tank! :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizArd418

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got home and found some water in between my tank and stand. Didn't think too much of it until I noticed that every time I tried to dry it with a towel, it stayed wet. The wood on the strand is now starting to warp and I feel like the clock is ticking before I have a major catastrophe. Any suggestions on how to get through this is appreciated. The tank in question is a 47 gal column reef tank. 2 clowns, cardinal, goby, and a gramma, and various corals. Debating if I should buy a new tank and start from scratch with the hardware or if I should try to fix the leak. Either way, I need to get my livestock out of the tank and I'm thinking about buying a rubbermaid container to do so. Any help or thoughts is much appreciated. Been in the hobby for only 3 months.

I've heard of fresh water people putting it in a big trash bin because it's not as flimsy on the sides but it wont work for long u need to get a new tank asap if that's what's leaking for sure check all ur filters at all the connections

Have you been able to narrow it down to the tank? Do you see any drip runs from anywhere? As thras said it could be something else leaking. What other things do you have running (IE: sump, etc).

If the tank is the thing that is leaking IMO get a new one and start over...

We looked at our hardware a little closer and we noticed that the skimmer was dripping a bit from behind the tank (hob skimmer). We took a blow dryer to try to dry all the water between the tank and the stand. We are keeping our fingers crossed that when we come home from work that there wont be anymore water found and that the skimmer was the cause. Thanks for all of your help! We'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom