Leak test on a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just what it says on the tin. I'm wondering, all you fish people, if you went to the store and bought a brand spankin' new aquarium, box never been opened etc etc, do you generally run a leak test before you set it up inside?

It wouldnt hurt to do so that way you can return the tank or use the warranty if it has on

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have never seen one of the new all glass or plexi tanks leak , old ones yes
in the olden dAYS when tanks had glass and steel frames the puddy often was not done right or dried out and the tank leaked , you never wanted to leave one of those tanks without water or they would leak when you filled them
some of the custom made tanks that are round or other shapes have been known to have bad seals but the mass producted ones almost never leak when new

I decided it wouldn't hurt anything for it to sit out in the garage for a day, just in case. Don't have all the other equipment to set it up yet, anyway.

45 is a decent size my largest is a 55 either way still alot of water

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't leak test new tanks but it wouldn't do any harm and if it did have a leak you could always return it to the store and get a refund.

3rd floor of an apartment building. I live paycheck to paycheck. One bust tank would be enough to ruin me financially. You bet your bottom i leak test. Though it is probably completely unnecessary, you can never be too safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never on new tanks. Just a good rinsing before using. Also, being a renter on the 3rd floor, I found an insurance policy that was pretty cheap to cover me in case of a tank break/leak issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom