leaking U.V. Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
O.K there is another problem. I'm not sure if you guys can help me with this. I have 25 W. Current Gamma U.V sterilizer. Got it for over a year. Three months ago i change a bulb. Today i found about 10 gal.of water on the floor,it leaks. I fixed this i put some teflon tape on the thread. At the same time there was a leak inside. Water got inside sleeve and fill up until reach the top to the connection<bulb and wires and cause pop the breaker.Like i told you guys i fixed outside leak but i really do not have any idea how water got to a sleeve it should just be outside and never go inside where touching a bulb.I cant find a cause,do not have manual either. Please help!!! Thanks!!!

First things first when you pull the bulb out is it wet?
Secondly if so there is a union type fitting on the inside of the U.V. that will hold/keep water out. I have a feeling this is your problem. I would take out the bulb. Take a few paper towels roll them up and stick them where the bulb would go. Turn your system on. Run for 10-30 min. check the towels every once and a while. If it runs for 30 minutes then the housing is fine. Do not tighten with a wrench hand tighten only.

Yes the bulb is wet ,bulb is in the water since the sleeve is full of water and the bulb is in it.That sleeve is all salty from inside since the water was there sitting all the time.It is no clear any more so the light even when in fixed this will no work 100 %

Yea do you have the U.V. Plumbed into your return line or is it a separate pump. If you have it plumbed into the return line like I have mine.(I used union ball valves...) just shut off flow to your U.V. either way. You will have to take out the U.V. take it apart and start over. Did you do a water test when you got it and assembled it? If so there might be a warranty heading your way in some fashion or another. If not take it apart and clean the inside with a swab and rod. Then put back together making sure that the inner union is snug and hand tighten. Do not crank with a wrench. Then do the water test with paper towels.

Thanks. I just do not see anything inside that i could tighten up. The bulb goes inside the tube and the end of the bulb has a plastic cap which goes inside the tube and closees the tube.

It is actually not on the inside the fitting I mean. I took a look at mine. It is on the outside but it holds the inside housing. See what I mean its hard to explain. That plastic cap on the end of the bulb is not the one Im talking about. I think that is more for say a pond application or something outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom