LED Conversion - is this a DIY or can I buy a straight swap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanR

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

My 55 gallon freshwater tank's hood contains two light canopies that are 22.5" L x 4.5" W and each use a single 18" T tube. I would like to swap these to LED lights but I am having trouble finding the same size canopy fixtures that I could just swap out. Am I better off just removing the light fixture components from the fixtures and installing some LED strips or is there a place that sells straight up canopy swaps? I asked at a couple of pet shops and they had no idea and just recommended I use my own LED strips. I do not grow plants in this tank so I don't need lights specifically for supporting plant growth.

Thanks!
Dan

This is pretty cool video. In your case, you could probably gut the existing fluorescent hardware and reuse the canopies with single LED wrapped PVC tubes as described in the video. Not sure if two tubes would fit in your canopies.
Or do a single rain gutter along the span of the tank.
Vivagrow makes a 48" Finnex 24/7 knockoff for about $65. Dimmable, color control, 24/7 mode. It MIGHT work with your setup. Probably more light than you need. But it is dimmable.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, (first post). I bought an led waterproof aquarium tube with suckers on, from aliexpress. It was under $10 delivered. I took all the "guts" for the old florescent tubes out and use these instead. The plants grow fine in there too. Ok, delivery time was about 3 weeks, but at that price it beats the LFS hands down.

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just thought - our local hardware store (bricomart - I'm in Spain) has replacement florescent tubes, the same sizes as the "old" style ones. Wouldn't your local hardware store have them? Or even Walmart etc?

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom