LED Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nestor29

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been looking into LED lighting for my new 40g breeder and doing a lot of research and I think I'm more confuse now than before!

So does anyone a good inexpensive LED fixture for a 40g breeder? I'm going to be starting with soft corals but want the option to add some hard corals later on! All the good ones that I found are around $800+!! Is that what I'm looking at if I want LED or is there less expensive options?

Anyone familiar with TaoTronics LED fixtures?

120watt
30 3watt Blue
25 3watt White

I am also interested in LED's. But quick newb question why is a 40g called a breeder tank?

nestor29 said:
Anyone familiar with TaoTronics LED fixtures?

120watt
30 3watt Blue
25 3watt White

I have 3 on my 180g. Have lps, sps, clam, nem's, and softies. I love them.

Kio707 said:
I have 3 on my 180g. Have lps, sps, clam, nem's, and softies. I love them.

Do you think one of these (120 Watt) is good for my 40g breeder?

h8z2luze said:
I am also interested in LED's. But quick newb question why is a 40g called a breeder tank?

If I'm not wrong it is because they're more shallow and wider in depth.

I was in your situation also for about 3 minths not knowing what kighting to get and I promise you , you will never need to buy better lighting , go with kessil a350 led, I've had them for about 2 months and they are truly amazing , look it up you will not be disappointed , and you can't hear a peep out of them while a lot of other cheaper brands make Loud and annoying noises

Saltwaterfish56 said:
I was in your situation also for about 3 minths not knowing what kighting to get and I promise you , you will never need to buy better lighting , go with kessil a350 led, I've had them for about 2 months and they are truly amazing , look it up you will not be disappointed , and you can't hear a peep out of them while a lot of other cheaper brands make Loud and annoying noises

Where do you get them? Do you have any videos of your tank?

I got them at my lfs, I can send you a video tomorrow cause the lights are of now haha

I used 3 watt LEDs & discovered they caused light shock & bleaching of some of my coralline . I plan to raise them up with a hood being built. Anyone have a similar problem?

I have a150 kessil too. And I love it. Makes no noise, is beautiful, and has the shimmering effect. The corals I have have been doin well. I have 1 ocean blue kessil over my 55gal corner tank. Because of the odd shape, I put any high-light coral directly below the light. The other are scattered around elsewhere. Someone on the forum told me that light will be good for any coral, even an anemone.

I 3rd the kessil lights, both the A150 and the a350's are amazing and the price is right and they will grow coral brilliantly.

Currently my dealer has them hanging over 2000 gallons of frag tanks in his basement and its stunning.

For you size tank the 2 A150's should do the job fine. If you want more versatility and power then go with the A350's.

You see you have at least 3 people telling you to get them , there not cool , there amazing !!

Anything here think that one A350W will be enough for a standard 120 (48x24x24)? I know they're supposed to be good for depths down to 24" at most. And they seems to have a good spread.

menotakoala said:
Anything here think that one A350W will be enough for a standard 120 (48x24x24)? I know they're supposed to be good for depths down to 24" at most. And they seems to have a good spread.

1 will not cover the tank. My dealer has 2 over that same size tank.

I'm thinking of making my own Kessil style light, the parts can be had off eBay for around $100

Here's all the parts you would need for one

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=200807714399&index=7&nav=SEARCH&nid=86257280697

You just add a power cord, and you could cut one from some old appliance that doesn't work or buy one at a hardware store for $6. I asked the seller about different color LEDs and they said they could make anything I want, even a blue and white emitter and discount the price if I dealt with them directly.

Remember lighting in a reef tank is one thing you don't want to skimp on. I use e.shine Cree Classic lights on one of my reef tanks and haven't had any problems with them in over a year. There's plenty of great reviews on them around the net. I paid about $200 a piece.

Back
Top Bottom