LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelduval1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a Marineland LED reef light... I have a 29 gallon tank.have A mushroom leather, anemone, and 2 feather Dusters, the light that will fit my tank is a 24" with the white led's and blue moonlight led's.... Has anyone had expirience with Marineland LED's? Any pro's or con's??

My understanding is that they aren't powerful enough for anemones

joelduval1 said:
Ok, so I'm thinking of buying a Marineland LED reef light... I have a 29 gallon tank.have A mushroom leather, anemone, and 2 feather Dusters, the light that will fit my tank is a 24" with the white led's and blue moonlight led's.... Has anyone had expirience with Marineland LED's? Any pro's or con's??

For what you have, that light won't be sufficient. What lights are you running now? I see you have a nem. Leathers are ok IMO but that nem will require more light.

Ive done a lot of research into LEDS and I am still not sure which way to go. If you look at the completr setups Marine land sells, they basically double up on their reef lights.

Dr foster and smith's website has Marineland systems for sale and for example a 6 foot tank comes with 4 3 foot reef capable LEDS.

Don't buy marine land I owned one they weren't powerful enough. I have orphec LEDs they work amazing, look into them.

Yes I have experienced the Marineland fixtures and shortly tested one on my 29g tank. They are very unreliable fixtures, also the power output is pretty pathetic. You wont grow much more than softies with them. also the 'moonlights' are way to much for moonlighting. You get what you pay for, so look into some other fixtures.

My recommendation for a 29g and a budget is the Kessil A150 @$265. Great light, exceptional company, no heat, low power consumption and you will be able to grow practically anything your heart desires.

Schism said:
Yes I have experienced the Marineland fixtures and shortly tested one on my 29g tank. They are very unreliable fixtures, also the power output is pretty pathetic. You wont grow much more than softies with them. also the 'moonlights' are way to much for moonlighting. You get what you pay for, so look into some other fixtures.

My recommendation for a 29g and a budget is the Kessil A150 @$265. Great light, exceptional company, no heat, low power consumption and you will be able to grow practically anything your heart desires.

Hey Schism what are your thoughts on Par30 and Par38's?

You seem knowledgable so I wanted your opinion on it and figured it went with the topic at hand...

My friends tank(10g) has been doing well with the Par30's and there 74.00

Also Ledtric has the pretty popular Par38 back I stock. The full spectrum one. It looks pretty sweet.

Convict2161 said:
Hey Schism what are your thoughts on Par30 and Par38's?

You seem knowledgable so I wanted your opinion on it and figured it went with the topic at hand...

My friends tank(10g) has been doing well with the Par30's and there 74.00

Also Ledtric has the pretty popular Par38 back I stock. The full spectrum one. It looks pretty sweet.

Yeah they are not bad for smaller shallow tanks but i dont think they perform that well with deeper tanks. I think coverage is small too so for a larger tank you would need multiple Although i dont have any experience with them besides reviews and 2nd hand accounts. So take my opinion with a grain of salt on the par 30's and 38's.

I actually got one from my brother for free a couple days ago. My fish like it, and my anemone is responding well to it. He actually moved down a couple inches cuz it was to intense for him.

Schism said:

How many of those kessils would you recommend for a 55-60 gallon tank?

Sniperhank said:
Everytime this topic comes up, I say to look at the taotronics LEDs on ebay. Cheapest you'll find and strong enough to keep anything your heart desires.

How many taotronics and what power are needed on a 55-60g tank?

Back
Top Bottom