LED lights vs. Flourescent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal (i think) goldfish tank which I had been having problems with- algea blooms- I've did everything from buy new filters to daily water changes and finally was told that it was my flourescent lights- that they were worn out and causing the algea to bloom. So I've bought a new light bulb and the LFS owner told me that I should consider LED lights, but after looking they are kinda expensive upfront (but I get that they save you money in the long run)

Overall, I'm considering the transition but do not have alot of experience in hardware purchases so what do people think is best- LED or Flourescent lights?

I'll echo Holly. You can have algae issues with any light. I've had 4 bulb t5 HO fixtures to LED's algae anytime if something is wrong.

Maybe your lights are on too long. If no plants then lights are for your viewing pleasure. My lights come on at 3:30pm and are off at 9:30pm. Just enough time for me to enjoy them. Why have the lights on if everyone is working.

Sometimes if I'm off or weekends I'll turn them on earlier so I can watch them.

Well i do admit I tend to leave my lights on for a longer period of time- 8-12 hours depending on my work schedule but I have tried to decrease that. And this is a recent issue that I have not dealt with prior and have followed the same schedule for almost a year now. I put the lights on because I thought it was beneficial to the fish- not just for veiewing pleasure as I have no plants in there I guess it does not matter as much.

Im not sure what type of algea it is. All I know is that I would do an 80% water change and the next day I could barely see through the water because it was green. It got to the point where I was runing two Tetra 40I filters in the tank to ensure that it wasnt dirty water. The algea has calmed down significantly since I replaced the bulb (15" Aqua Glo i think it was?) but I am still having to do frequent water changes for the next few weeks to clear it out- and I've already drained the tank and re-filled it once.

I was told that I wouldnt have these problems if I went to an LED light, but I wonder what (if any) are the benefits to either LED or Flourescent lights

Sounds like you need to put your lights on a timer. Having a "siesta" period in the middle of the day can help. Your fish probably dont care if they're on or not. Try 2hours on in the am when you're home to enjoy them, then siesta, then on again 4-6 hours in the evening. Make sure your water quality is good with at least a 50% change per week. If all else fails, a uv sterilizer. But any lights left on too long will cause algae. If there is over feeding or water quality issues, it makes it worse.

Well i do admit I tend to leave my lights on for a longer period of time- 8-12 hours depending on my work schedule but I have tried to decrease that. And this is a recent issue that I have not dealt with prior and have followed the same schedule for almost a year now. I put the lights on because I thought it was beneficial to the fish- not just for veiewing pleasure as I have no plants in there I guess it does not matter as much.

Im not sure what type of algea it is. All I know is that I would do an 80% water change and the next day I could barely see through the water because it was green. It got to the point where I was runing two Tetra 40I filters in the tank to ensure that it wasnt dirty water. The algea has calmed down significantly since I replaced the bulb (15" Aqua Glo i think it was?) but I am still having to do frequent water changes for the next few weeks to clear it out- and I've already drained the tank and re-filled it once.

I was told that I wouldnt have these problems if I went to an LED light, but I wonder what (if any) are the benefits to either LED or Flourescent lights

I'd test your parameters, trim your light schedule for starters. Do some water changes, check for phosphates.

How often do you feed? Algae is usually because of excessive nutrients. Maybe try a UV filter?

Is the tank near a window and getting direct sunlight?

LED, T5's whatever there gonna create light. LED's are strong lights they just burn cooler.

I'd find the root of the problem before buying a new light fixture. They can get expensive.

Siesta period? Whats that?

Overall my water parameters are good and steady with no major fluxs either. Its not in direct sunlight, but its off to the side of one of my windows against a wall.

Siesta period? Whats that?

Overall my water parameters are good and steady with no major fluxs either. Its not in direct sunlight, but its off to the side of one of my windows against a wall.

I'm guessing by siesta they mean a total darkness and sleep period. I give my fish a total state of darkness at some point were even the moonlights turn off

Well, something is causing your algae and green water issues. What's your feeding routine?

Personal preference would be LED's. Despite the fact that LED's are much stronger they will most likely cause more algae. What are your phosephates at?

Also do you run any reactors? Uv sterilizers? How long are your lights on for?

The siesta is a nap or rest period. It interrupts the growth cycle of algae I guess, according to my aqua plant book. I know it helped mine! I turn it off during the middle of the day, though I will probably get a timer hooked up eventually! lol

Back
Top Bottom