LED or T5...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geared towards salt water or not, you'll get plenty of light out of them and you'll be able to grow plants with it for sure. I was under the impression you needed a powerful punch with folks suggesting metal halides and the concern with buying LEDs that may not do the job. These single strand finnex fixtures are plenty of light? If so, Brookster is right, you don't need this kind of power.

Geared towards salt water or not, you'll get plenty of light out of them and you'll be able to grow plants with it for sure. I was under the impression you needed a powerful punch with folks suggesting metal halides and the concern with buying LEDs that may not do the job. These single strand finnex fixtures are plenty of light? If so, Brookster is right, you don't need this kind of power.

Like I said before.. i am a total fam of leds, the only reason I suggested standard t5ho was cost and availability.. i do not doubt those panels would grow plants. I actually fear without co2 they'd grow more algae than anything haha..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

But algae are plants, correct? Plus, these can be dimmed according to your needs. I used one over a refugium and the macroalgae in the tank is doing very well. I would assume it's no different for whatever plants you were considering. School me here, because I'm not familiar with planted tanks, but I am familiar with salt water plants.

But algae are plants, correct? Plus, these can be dimmed according to your needs. I used one over a refugium and the macroalgae in the tank is doing very well. I would assume it's no different for whatever plants you were considering. School me here, because I'm not familiar with planted tanks, but I am familiar with salt water plants.

Absolutely a plant! Not all that desire able by most however;) in your case you're going for the macro algae? That's good for the nitrate scrubbing and such? So power/par is one thing.. spectrum and color temp is another thing. Planted tanks are after the 500 - 10k range employing rgb's or red greens and blues. Not so much the actnic blue you guys use. I do have lights with that type blue but it's mainly for moonlight functions. I think the evolution if planted leds stemmed from coral growers such as yourself. They have come along way haven't they! That panel you recommended would probably grow any plant you'd want.. just wouldn't throw the best color on them.
Ps. I'm still learning all this stuff as I go, just because I buy it does not make me an expert...

Last edited:
I'm getting out of my depth here ( :) ), but if you do look at LEDs I suggest putting the led lights you are looking at into the DIY BML website. For me I found that you needed a lot of reds as it doesn't penetrate well at depth, whereas the blues will keep going quite strongly. I can sort of see that in the tank where I can notice the reds near surface whereas at depth it evens out (although having box LEDs and not strip LEDs doesn't help).

I figured the blues weren't used for anything more than aesthetics in a planted tank, but I think the daylights and reds should be plenty.

I figured the blues weren't used for anything more than aesthetics in a planted tank, but I think the daylights and reds should be plenty.

Someone in the planted tank forum is attempting a planted tank with a t5ho half 10k half acnic... we'll see how they do??

Jeze! This is a training course for me! Thanks guys, I've been sneaking this whole conversation whilst pretending to work...! ;) I'll have to get onto all this later on. But by the way, it's actually a 90 USG. It's more like 44" x 20" x 24" to be more precise...
In any case it's more the depth than anything here right...? And that's still 2' deep. I'll take a look through your suggestions, but again, I'm in the UK, so hope it all applies this side of the pond...!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A lot of people have been using led floodlights. I have several on my racks. The 30w ones do fine for low and medium growing. Id probably run 3 to 4 on a 4ft tank. It's not all peaches but an idea to google up a bit. They range around $25 apiece, require some very basic wiring, and seem to do best if you grease the heat sinks.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I think so. I've turned most of my blues off on the ex-reef lights and just using daylights and reds on planted DT. I then have a hydroponics led that is largely red light as well.

It's a nasty shock getting used to the red light though. As well as the box LEDs I have a strip led at the tank front just to even out the light/shadows from the box LEDs.

I've only briefly looked at this but the strip led lights I could get in Australia say their blue lights are suitable for planted FW or SW. For the planted I would then buy a second strip led light full of reds. I always wondered if this was correct that planted FW and SW use the same spectrum in the blue light side??

---------

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cwbt2D65i9k/R2LFrYW5n7I/AAAAAAAABdc/Wv2F1RzAF0k/s1600/Chlorophyll.jpg

As shown above, plants need the majority of the light to be around 400-450nm and 650-675nm (or blue and red light). The blue light is used for leaf growth, and promotes bushy, compact growth, while red light is mainly used for flowering and strong stems. They reflect most green light, thus explaining why leaves are green.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/12/understanding-full-spectrum-aquarium.html?m=1

This might not pertain to your tank because it's so deep, but I'm to cheap to spend that much on lighting and I just use t8 48" shop lights ( I know t8s are outdated but they work for me) my whole light setup only costed 60$. I'm also not trying to grow high light plants but I think it's working ok. Don't shoot me for using wpg but It gives me a little over 2wpg on my 55 gallon tank.

This might not pertain to your tank because it's so deep, but I'm to cheap to spend that much on lighting and I just use t8 48" shop lights ( I know t8s are outdated but they work for me) my whole light setup only costed 60$. I'm also not trying to grow high light plants but I think it's working ok. Don't shoot me for using wpg but It gives me a little over 2wpg on my 55 gallon tank.

Bang bang bang ×♢x

I think so. I've turned most of my blues off on the ex-reef lights and just using daylights and reds on planted DT. I then have a hydroponics led that is largely red light as well.

It's a nasty shock getting used to the red light though. As well as the box LEDs I have a strip led at the tank front just to even out the light/shadows from the box LEDs.

I've only briefly looked at this but the strip led lights I could get in Australia say their blue lights are suitable for planted FW or SW. For the planted I would then buy a second strip led light full of reds. I always wondered if this was correct that planted FW and SW use the same spectrum in the blue light side??

---------

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cwbt2D65i9k/R2LFrYW5n7I/AAAAAAAABdc/Wv2F1RzAF0k/s1600/Chlorophyll.jpg

As shown above, plants need the majority of the light to be around 400-450nm and 650-675nm (or blue and red light). The blue light is used for leaf growth, and promotes bushy, compact growth, while red light is mainly used for flowering and strong stems. They reflect most green light, thus explaining why leaves are green.

Aquatic Eden: Understanding Full Spectrum Aquarium Lighting
Pertaining to land plants, but I think we can use this info this application as well-
"Red and blue have the greatest impact on plant growth. Green light is least effective (the reflection of green light gives the green color to plants). Blue light is primarily responsible for vegetative leaf growth. Red light, when combined with blue light, encourages flowering."

Plant Growth Factors: Light

A few things to consider are the actual wavelengths produced by the lights you are using, not their colour appearance. Same thing when comparing lamps of the same K value. As well, the CRI which will influence the actual appearance of everything in the tank. Lastly, some plants can be grown very successfully with a minimal amount of light, so, it depends on how much work you wnat to put into the tank. High and low tech tanks are very different in the amount of work needed to accomplish a certain look.
The last plant guru who spoke at out club, says T5 over LED. He was basing this on actual meter readings in a tank lit by each.

I have Finnex and Kessil lighting. I love Finnex, but I swear by Kessil. I have 2 kessil A360WE Tuna Sun fixtures that I run at half intensity with excellent plant growth. Truth be known, I could do just as well with 2 A150WE Tuna Sun fixtures which is less expensive, but they are not adjustable for color or intensity. Kessil will soon have an A160WE fixture that is adjustable just like the A360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

\
The last plant guru who spoke at out club, says T5 over LED. He was basing this on actual meter readings in a tank lit by each.
But you can't get an accurate PAR reading with LEDs. Lumens would not be accurate either, since not all light is used by photosynthetic organisms. You would need to measure PUR, which you cannot do without extremely expensive equipment.

But you can't get an accurate PAR reading with LEDs. Lumens would not be accurate either, since not all light is used by photosynthetic organisms. You would need to measure PUR, which you cannot do without extremely expensive equipment.

Agreed. I had a 4X54 watt T5HO on a 55 gallon and thought that was as good as it gets. Once I went to LEDs the plants "pearled" like crazy. I am a believer in LEDs.

Agreed. I had a 4X54 watt T5HO on a 55 gallon and thought that was as good as it gets. Once I went to LEDs the plants "pearled" like crazy. I am a believer in LEDs.

That's my standpoint.. par..pur.. plants don't lie. .

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/12/understanding-full-spectrum-aquarium.html?m=1[/QUOTE]

Right, well one thing's for sure. I'm going for LED...!

Brookster, I like the look of the Finnex you recommend, but can't find them in UK...!

I was recommended these AquaGro GroBeams by a guy in a British forum and went to my LFS to check them out. I took pictures of the front and back of the box, cause the back has the spec and I've attached them too.

The guy in the shop recommended the Ultima - the broad spectrum natural white units (the spec on the left, which to me looks like too much "wasted" green and almost no red) but there's another model called the ColourPlus. (The spec on the right which almost perfectly matches the chart showing colour temperature most beneficial to plants...!)

Now, I'm hearing that it's as bad for plants to have too much light as too little and the very blue / red units may over cook them. And also they would not look very natural, but may help the colours in the fish "pop".

So, here's my theory. The guy in the shop says 3 of these will be perfect for my tank. I think 3 ColourPlus may be over kill, but I'd like some of that spiky blue / red light in there too. (Note the ColourPlus is made up of 4 white LEDs, 2 red, 2 blue and 2 green while the natural daylight ones are just 10 x white). What if... I put 1 natural daylight unit at either end and 1 ColourPlus dead centre (3 units in total). This way 24 of the LEDs in the tank are still white, but I'll have an area at the centre of the tank where I'll have an open space that's lit with the more colourful range to enhance the fish colours, but without making the whole tank look unnatural or over lighting the plants...

What do you think?

Also, looking at the spec sheets, is 3 of these running the length at the centre of this tank (44" x 20" x 24") going to be the correct amount of light. They're like 2000 Lumens each...

Thanks guys...

(Pics in next post)

Back
Top Bottom